Can you really tell by ultrasound the sex of a baby at 12 weeks???

I have a friend that says she is 12 weeks along and was in the hospital last weekend for some spotting and she told me she had an ultrasound and its a boy. Can they really tell this eairly?? She has been going through some things lately and dosnt seem to be the most trust worthy these days so I am really just wondering if she is telling the truth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They all look like boys at that age. Sex identification by u/s, isn't reliable until after 18 weeks. The sex organs aren't even developed until week 14.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 10:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• no i dont think so . my friend just lost her baby she was 19 weeks and lost it in between her last appointment and this one it was about a 4 week difference and when they delivered the baby they were unable to tell the sex of the baby.
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No. It isn't. The clitoris can look like a penis at that point in time because the penis really would be that small still, if it's even formed yet. They really start forming at around 14 weeks, and you could, by definition, tell by 15 weeks, but it's not accurate. That's why they wait until between 18 and 22 weeks to do anatomy checks. By then the baby is big enough and the genitals are more defined. But it can STILL be wrong.
    Anonymous

• not really- my friend did find out at 15 weeks but even then the doc said it wasnt real reliable, but when she went back at 20 it was still a boy :) More reliable around 20 weeks.
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I was told a boy at 12 weeks and Im having a girl
    Anonymous

• anon27 you might be in for a surprise then. they cant tell at 12 weeks
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Sati, that is what she said.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Actually starts forming at 8 weeks but is not really distinguishable til around 13 - 14 weeks. No you wont know at 12 weeks. " By the 20th week of pregnancy the external genitalia changes are done."

http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Nope. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference at this stage: http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I was told i was having a boy at 14 weeks and nope there wrong its def a girl!
    proud_mum_mum

Answer by proud_mum_mum at 4:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010