• In the Spotlight:

Would this make me stupid?

This is my third time taking college algebra. The first time I completed it and passed but not good enough to transfer. I retook it at that same college last semester but dropped it. I'm in it this semester but they have a policy that says if you miss so many classes and have an f than your dropped. I can appeal but I think it'll lower my GPA and I need a good GPA to transfer to my new college (i currently go to an "in between" school just to make up classes and raise my GPA). I think I should drop it again since if I don't pass it will lower my GPA. The teaching styles are different from the first time I took it and I think that's why I'm not doing well. This teacher teaches thinks on a calculator. I don't even have a graphing calculator. So, would it make me stupid to take it either at the new school over the summer or online at my current school over the summer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You need a graphing calculator for college. I know they can be expensive. See if you school sells used ones.

You need a tutor. If you are able to stay after class and have one-on-one with the teacher, you may be able to make it this time. Tell the professor your situation. Most professors are very happy to help students who tell them BEFORE it's too late. The last minutes scramble to save a grade is not going to win.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• summer classes i hear are intense and online would be good if your good at at computer and technical stuff but i would most def reccommend to take it at your new school
    Anonymous

• you can get a $15 dollar graphing calculator that will do just fine for algebra.. not for statistics but for algebra it will work.. I used it for Alg. 1 and 2 in college and then i ended up getting a $100 one for statistics- because it was the only one that would work. if you dont need to take statistics then dont get a $100 one. i wouldnt give up yet, and if you are having difficulty IN class i would NOT do it online- it would be much harder online. Many colleges have free tutors or you could stay a couple minutes after to ask a couple questions to your professor or else ask her./him if you can meet them a half hour early
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• try taking it at your new school and no, your not stupid. Some people REALLY suck at math! Luckily I did good, but I know its rough on others. Good luck!! College is hard, especially when you are a mother.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't suck at math-I think it's because of the teacher. She really doesn't teach it well. I've missed class and I'm behind. I just don't want to risk it. I think I can drop it until sometime in April. I might wait until then. And graphing calculators cost about $100. OP
    Anonymous

• Hey get a tutor. Sheesh stop taking the same stupid class. It would make me feel like a faliure. I hate math and I suck at it. But when you need help get it. You can get a graphing calculator at wal-mart or on line for cheaper.. Heck my kids H>S. rented them one for a dollar a year we have several.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Maybe you should see if you can transfer into another professor's class. It sounds like your current professor isn't teaching you very well. Or you can try a tutor.
    If it doesn't seem like you can pull it out to succeed this semester, maybe you should just drop & try again over the summer.

You should talk to a math advisor- They can give you advise on what to do, or where to find a tutor. There also might be a limit to how many times you can take a class, so be sure to ask about that.

Good luck!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I would talk to your advisors about getting a math tutor since it is your 3rd time through the class. I don't think a graphing calculator is ABSOLUTELY necessary, though (I've passed 8 math classes without one). If you feel like you really need one but can't afford one, go to Freecycle.org and look up your area, and see if you can get one. Or you can try WishUponAHero.com and see if someone would help you there. :)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You don't have any type of calculator? That kind of is going to be a necessity no matter what professor you have hun. I would look into the tutor as well.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2010