When was your LO first dentist visit?

My daughter is almost 16 months and we are planning on taking her as soon as the dental insurance card comes in. She only has her 4 top and 2 bottom teeth. I was just curious because we didn't want to be paying for dental insurance for her when there was no need to take her to the dentist yet.

NalimalanisMom

Asked by NalimalanisMom at 11:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was around 13 months.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My kids were right around 2 when they went for the first time, before that my sister and aunt would check their teeth for me, its one of the perks of having family in dentistry :) There were no issues so they would just do a quick look make sure everythign was coming in. When we finally made it to the dentist at 2 y/o the doctors were always amazed how still my kids would sit for them and let them poke around and take x-rays.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Eighteen months

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I thought they didn't have to go until they were 3 years-old??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• depends on the dentist you take her to. some dentist say as soon as they get there first tooth and some say not until the age of 4. I took my oldest to her first dentist visit at 12 months old they just looked at her teeth I was supose to take her back 6 months later, but then never did then we didn't get the same insurance anymore so she didn't have dental she is going to be 5 next month hasn't been to the dentist since 12 months old, but we are going to be getting dental on her again so as soon as we get it I am talking her to the dentist. My youngest however is 26 months and never has been to the dentist so she will be going soon as well soon as we get our insurance. You just have to call around cause most wont see them until the age of 4, but there are some that will see them as young as 12 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My dentist told me they didn't see kids until they were 3. We went ahead and put DS on the dental insurance last year (when he was 2) just in case something happened, and he also turned 3 late last year. Our dentist recommended us bringing him with us to one of our appointments and then making him his own appointment. Both DH & I have appointments on Monday, so we're taking DS with us and while we're there, I will make him his first official appointment.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Our kids first appt. to themselves was at 3. Before that I always took them with me and the dentist would take a quick look at their teeth after checking mine. My oldest isn't fond of going to the dentist because he had to have teeth pulled when younger and there is still that fear. The other 2 love going. IN fact, my 5 yr old went yesterday and was so proud - it was really cool.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• my dentist wouldn't see my son until he was 3
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 8:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My DD was 13 months
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 9:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My kids are 2 1/2 and almost 4. Neither of them have ever been to the dentist. We talked to both our Dentist and our Preds. Both agree that there is no point to take a child that young to the dentist, unless they are having dental issues. But seeing as how their teeth are going to fall out, if there is no issue there is no reason to go.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2010