How can I get over my fear of the dentist?

Ok, my three year old little girl with special needs has a visible cavity and needs to go to the dentist. I brushed her teeth twice a day ever since she started getting teeth and she ended up with cavities anyway. Bad teeth run in both mine and her father's family. So, here is the issue. I'm am terrifed of what they might need to do to her. I cry everytime I think about it. When I was 3 or 4 I had a bad experience with a dentist. My parents weren't aloud in the room, they tied me down, and but me in a head lock and told me to stop screaming. This was 20 years ago and it is one of my first memories. I can't imagine my baby going through something like that. I know rules are different now for dentist but everytime I bring up dentist to other mom's I know all I hear is the bad stuff. I just need some advice to help me get through my babies first dentist appointment. Thank You!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Health

• Change it from fear of dentist, to fear of having rotted nasty teeth, or no teeth at all. That scares me MUCH more then the dentist. And if you're so freaked out, ask your Dr. for some Valium. My friend does this just for a cleaning...weird, but it gets her through the process.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:45 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sorry, i answered before i read your question. Your DD may not have the reaction that you did, I was nervous when i brought my DD in for her first time, but she did wonderful. Don't get her all freaked out because of your bad experiences. My DD still has no cavities (i thank that to breastfeeding), so i really don't know how she would do if she was getting a filling.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I used to work in a dental office. Since your child is young, and special needs I would suggest making an appointment with a childrens dentist. You can set up a consult appointment where you meet the Dentist, ask questions about how they handle the children, and what methods they use. Then if you feel comfortable set up an appointment. If your child has a visible cavity, it is better to get it treated NOW, rather than wait until it gets worse, causes pain or gets so bad it can't be fixed. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think your bad experience with a dentist was unusual and I really doubt you will see that again. As the others said, find a children's dentist and they will be good to your daughter. I am still afraid of going to the dentist and I am ....an old lady, LOL. I think you have to just keep on facing your fears. I go to my dentist twice a year.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2010