Spin off of the Catholic Hospital question...

Many people commented that the state should not be permitted to force the hospital to preform abortions, seeing as how they go against the beliefs of the Catholic Church which owns the hospitals.

So, here is my question, would you feel this way if the state was trying to force a JW run hospital to preform blood transfusions? Would you continue to stand behind the "Religious Right" argument if the only Churches in the area were refusing to offer blood or organ transplants?

**Before it gets said, I know the JWs don't have any hospitals, this is simply a hypothetical "what if"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If the JW hospital was receiving state funding to run an ER ward, they are opening themselves up to lawsuits galore for refusing to do blood transfusions. Transfusions are common medical procedures that are used routinely to save lives in ER wards all around the country. If a person is shot on the street, brought into the JW ER unconscious because it's the nearest one to the crime, and he bleeds to death because they refuse to give him life-saving blood, that is a big issue full of legal headaches, including the hospital imposing their religious beliefs on him without consent.

That said, if the JWs want to open up a private hospital where every patient going in is informed certain procedures will not be performed and why, fine, more power to them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• yep it is EXACTLY how I would feel and if YOU didn't like it YOU have every right to start YOUR OWN hospital that offers those services.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Let me get this straight, this hospital is ran by the JW church, donations are set up through them and this private organization is a JW organization?

In that case, the hospital would have every right to refuse to do blood transfusions, in fact, I would hold a lot less respect for them if they openly provided a service they believed was wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Why would you force them to do something against their beliefs?
    Anonymous

Unless this hospital is only providing services to people of that faith, it is a PUBLIC business and should treat the public in the same way that any other comparable business would. They always have the option of having another business and making their money that way...

We have people being persecuted and punished because their religious beliefs go against the general medical communities understandings (ex: faith healing or refusal of blood) Yet, we see it as okay when a religiously based yet public business limits their services by their beliefs... How backwards is that?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• it is a PUBLIC business

what makes it a public business.

Catholics schools offer classes to some non Catholics does that make it a public school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• IF there was such a thing as a JW hospital (and why would they even get into that business, buy anyway), then yes, I would fully support their right to refuse blood transfusions. If I didn't like it, then I would push to have another, public hospital built in my area. But honestly, blood transfusions and abortions is like comparing apples to oranges. But I see your point. However, I do not agree with forcing a religious hospital to go against their religious beliefs, if the don't want to.

Here's a question. What if there was a hospital run by... idk some group that didn't believe in putting chemicals into the body. Only organic, herbal remedies could be used, or other forms of natural medicine. In some cases these beliefs are also religious in origin. Should the state force them to use unnatural healing methods, if it goes against their beliefs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• "We have people being persecuted and punished because their religious beliefs go against the general medical communities understandings."

I never heard of this, but i suppose it's possible. It's wrong, just as it is wrong to force an institution to do something they believe is ethically wrong. It's wrong, it's wrong, it's wrong. THe whole point is people have choice. "Comparable businesses" are not identical and there are different hospitals that provide or are known for different things. My local hospital doesn't do brain surgery. I'll go to one that does. and If i want an abortion, I go to someone who does abortions. Forcing someone to take the life of an unborn fetus is just wrong on so many levels.
    Anonymous

• Definitions of Public Company on the Web:

A public company or publicly traded company is a company that has permission to offer its registered securities (stock, bonds, etc. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_company

Limited liability company, which is not a private company.
    https://securities.standardbank.co.za/ost/nsp/Glossary/glossary.asp

A company that has issued securities through an initial public offering and which are traded on at least one stock exchange.
    www.vjondalalstreet.com/marketgot.php

A company with nine share certificates. This game has ten public companies.
    www3.telus.net/wrdixon/1870html/1870glos.html

A company where the number of shareholders are unlimited
    www.smartaccountingsoftware.com/acctterm.aspx
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• so glad many others agree. Going to bed now and again I am so glad to hear many believe that this religion would have the right to offer services they believe are morally correct.

good night

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2010