If the only religious buildings in a town are Catholic buildings...

and the Catholic churches offer services to any member of the public that wants to walk in the building....

should we force them to allow other religions to preach from the pulpit?

After all it is a public service they are offering to people that may not be Catholic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good glad you all agree a Catholic building should not be forced to offer services of other beliefs. We have a few buildings that are owned by the Catholic Church around here.

Our Catholic hospital has a chapel. it has a an alter, communion, holy water, holy cards, statues, kneelers the whole Catholic enchilada.

Should the hospital, that allows any member of the community to receive services and pray in the chapel be forced to offer other religious services on Sunday?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What does one have to do with the other? You don't need a religious building to have a church service. My niece's congregation meets at a coffee house owned by one of the pastors, and there's a house not far from us that converted their garage into a church.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No.

A Church is not a business - or at least shouldn't be. When a religious belief affects those in the public by dictating laws, education or other services through business relations, they enter the "legal" arena and exit the "religious" one. Thus they should be subject to a non-discriminatory ruling and offer all general services which would be offered by non-religious equals.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Maybe I am not understanding your question. Why would someone who is not catholic want to preach in a catholic church? I have seen services in parks, old theaters, community rooms, we even have one church that leases a storefront on main street.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Your right 3 ring circus, I think this would be just as silly and wrong as asking ANY part of the church to allow other beliefs

including hospitals.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I wouldnt exactly include hospitals in that, Catholic hospitals are fee based business it isnt a free sevice they are offering, if a patient prefers their rabbi or preistess come in to talk to them over the catholic preist I dont think the hospital should have a say. A hospital even a catholic one is not a "religious building" it is a business and as such has to follow the laws of non discrimination based on religion, race, sex, age, or disability.

I wouldnt go so far as to say they have to offer other services but if as I said if someones religious head comes to the hospital they shouldnt be denied the right to comfort or hold a service of their belief in the hospital for the patient and their family.

I had a feeling the question was missing pieces now i see why.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• is it a bulding?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If the church is accepting medicare or medicaid payments they are recipients of government funds and no longer a private religious organization. Different rules apply.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Couldn't have said it better than NotPanicking.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• new flash for you two.... CVS accepts medical cards for pills that does NOT give them diffrent rules

sorry you are WRONG
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2010