I JUST FOUND OUT TODAY! I wanted to share with you guys..

I found out today, that I will be exactly 6 weeks tomorrow. my very first OB appt. is next friday, which I will be 7 weeks by then. What should i expect at the first appointment? They called it a write up? lol, i have no idea what it means. but i will again have another apt at 10/11 weeks. will we be able to hear the heart beat at the second apt?

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 12:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They will just test your urine and get your info. Pretty simple appointment!! (They may do a PAP, but every doc is different!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• at the first appt they will take a blood & pee samples family medical history, personal medical history the rest of the appt is basically a meet and greet for you and your dr they will also give you your do's and don't s for pregnancy at the second appt is when you get the hear the heart beat normally

congrats
    liadotwtd

Answer by liadotwtd at 1:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been seeing some of your posts for the last few weeks, so if you need a friend while your SO is away, PM me for my email, I will be your friend through anything you want to talk about ok? My boyfriend is going to basics in May, so I need a friend going through the same thing.

As for your original question, during your first OB appointment, they will basically run through your entire medical history and your family's medical history, and will try to determine from your last period how far along you are. (If you don't know when, or you can't remember the dates, they will schedule you an ultra-sound for the following appointment to figure out how far along you are). I can't remember what else, but I think they also take urine and maybe blood.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Also, you should decide your first appt which doctor you would like to see, or tell them you'd like to switch doctors for every appt to see who you'd prefer to deliver you. I remember my first appointment, the ADRN was there instead of my mid-wife, and she told me that I could meet the other doctors first, but I fell in love with the first mid-wife and never requested another one. You want to decide as early on as possible, that way your OB/midwife knows everything that you want, and everything about your pregnancy that is going on.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2010