It's now been one year since Obama signed the stimulus bill

Is your town better off than it was a year ago? Is the unemployment better, the schools better funded, the roads fixed and new business expanding?

Note to the contrarians: I said BETTER not PERFECT, better could mean 0.05% improvement. Not that we have anything remotely close to that here, since all 4 of those categories are worse here than they were a year ago...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, In Vegas they laid off more teachers and the only thing they "fixed" was adding more casinos on the strip.
    Unemployment went up, more people ended up on PA. It got worse in the past year there.
    Here in Philly all I see is crappy roads.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Nothing has improved here in Michigan. In fact it's gotten worse. But I don't blame Obama solely. I also blame our wonderful Gov. Granholm. Of course she is now one of Obamas advisors on job creation. What does that tell ya??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Carpy, seriously? on JOB CREATION??? That's like asking a demolition derby driver how to win a NASCAR race!

Nothing's improved here. Our roads are worse, the Road Commission had it's funding cut. Unemployment's stayed the same or gotten worse, in fact my DH came home today with the news he's been laid off beginning next week. I still see businesses closing. As for the school, that was the first place Granholm cut when she became governor years ago and they're still struggling. Schools are closing due to lack of funding.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Unemployment is higher. The state just announced tax increases to cover their budget shortfall, which started a chain reaction, and just this week more people lost their jobs in direct correlation to the tax increases.

The roads still have potholes, the school district has less money than last year, houses aren't selling, and foreclosures fill the newspaper.

Seriously, it hasn't improved anything here.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Haha yeah right.No it has not gotten better and thousands more have lost their jobs.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My town(Deer Park TX) is in good condition itself. We have a mayor who is fiscally responsible. The city has been able to continue running almost as normal even adding sidewalks to the main drag. Of course it is easier to do in a city of 34,000. Houston has not been as lucky. They are facing a deficit and foreclosures are high. I just saw a news show about the commercial forclosures beginning to happen. They are talking about how to make up this deficit. Taxes, cutting services etc. It could be a lot worse but there hasn't been any help from the so called stimulus
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• itsmesteph, do you ever listen to Michael Berry?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You are lucky, Steph. TX has been one of the few fiscally responsible states in the nation. One of our state colleges just announced their budget has been reduced by more than half. They are laying off a bunch of teachers and tuition is going up to compensate.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Obama said it would be worse before better. You guys have been bitching since obama took office day ONE.
    The first two years of Reagan was almost as bad. I believe will be see major improvement before 2012, This is a Global crisis. NOT JUST AMERICA!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You are right about one thing anon. It will get better before the next election. Even if it has to be done artificially. And I think we have all been agreeing on that since the stimulus was signed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2010