should I start my own business?

Hi,I'm a 45 year old married mother of four. Our three older children are adults now and our youngest is two and a half. I've been lucky enough to be a stay at home mom for the past three years. It's been wonderful and I absolutely love it! But now circumstances have changed and it's time for me to "get back out there" I would now start my own cleaning business. The idea spawned when my husband, who has an occasional job with the local banks repossessing vehicles,was called to clean up some properties that had been foreclosed.The properties needed to be cleaned so the bank could show them to prospective buyers. I would offer to clean and do small repairs in these types of situations. I would also offer my services to realtors,landlords,and to typical homeowners who are moving and either don't have time or don't want to clean their home. I would welcome any opinions,advice, or suggestions you could give me. Thanks everyone

kolbiesmom

Asked by kolbiesmom at 4:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• It sounds like a great idea! Write a business plan, incorporate, start networking and marketing!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Do you have any business experience? Is it something you want to do? Would you be happy doing it? It would be great because it would allow you to work your own hours around your child's schedule. Would you be able to take your child with you when you clean or do you have to find childcare while you do the cleaning and repairs? I think if this is something you want to do then go for it! Come up with a business plan and do it. There certainly is a market for it given the amount of foreclosed properties. Good luck!
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 5:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Kendra brings up some very valid points to consider. Also do research, because you'll find that many areas are flooded with cleaning services, from big name companies to "the little guy" companies, and it's very hard to break into servicing other businesses. In most cases they already have contracts with other companies. Also businesses tend to use property management companies to represent them and you are required to place BIDS on the contract, have $500,000-$1,000,000 in liability insurance coverage and they have very explicit instructions and requirements for how things are cleaned.

Residental cleaning is a LOT easier to find work for and doesn't have such strict guidelines and requirements.

My husband and I have a Carpet & Floor Cleaning business, and getting other businesses is NOT easy, we have only so far won contracts for Mom & Pop businesses and a few Dr. Offices.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think it's a great idea! I have a friend who cleans houses and she recently landed a job cleaning a repossessed house. She was paid $250 and it took her hours. Pretty good pay if you ask me! Good luck!
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 8:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think it's a great idea. Running your own business has a lot of perks. Work when ever you want, etc.
    Best Wishes!

Erika
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I do that type of work for two real estate companies. It is good money but sporadic work. I do trash outs, interior painting and cleaning. Alot of real estate companies have their own people. It is a great business to be in if you don't need a paycheck every week and don't mind filth. It is digusting the way some people live.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It sounds great! You will want to get some advice from an accountant before incorporating though. A sole proprietorship might be a better option. It certainly is in my state! They just hiked the taxes on corps and it is really hurting businesses.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You should work for yourself because you control how many hours you work a week. You will always be employed. Never have to answer to anyone but yourself. Its a great idea. Make sure you market the hell out of your business so that your steady. Make business cards and put them everywhere. Good Luck with everything.

Danielle
    http://www.internetceomoms.com/danishel
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2010