At what age do babies start crawling.

My son is 7 months, he is so active and actually seeming to be a very smart baby, sometimes to smart, but im curious should he be crawling already i have heard of babies skipping crawling and going straight to walking. I sometimes wonder if he is going to just go straight to walking, and if he does is that ok.

(my son was already trying to sit up on his own by 3 months and now all he wants to do is stand)

ilybaby8609

Asked by ilybaby8609 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The age ranges and the way the baby crawls ranges. My daughter crawled at 8 mos, walked at 11 mos. Its very possible that your son will skip it or have his own variation on it and its all okay. :)
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My son was an early bird he started crawling around 4-5 months and started walking about 10 months. I think it depends on the child and what they are ready to do.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 4:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• crawling is not a developmental milestone and many babies never crawl

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• my mom said both my sister and i never crawled, just went straight to walking. both at 8 mos.

My son is 4 mos so i cant speak on personal experience besides he does the same as you described, wanting to stand a lot and sitting up
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms. Crawling is not a milestone, so some babies never crawl. that doesn't mean they can't scoot towards what they want though.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Actually...crawling is a milestone. If baby's don't crawl, and instead they "bum scoot" it causes developmental delays in the future. I know this...I went through this with my own child and have done plenty research and spoken to many doctors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My daughter crawled at about 6 months I think, and walked at 12 months. My son started crawling at 3.5 months, was sitting up at 3 months, and started walking at 7 months. Now he's 8.5 months and walks just as well as his 2.5 yr old sister! lol. Every kid is different, he'll do everything he needs to do on his own time. We didn't even teach my son to walk, we didn't think to start working on it because he was so young...one day he just started walking. He'd always stand up in the middle of a room without anything to pull himself up with...and one day he just started walking across the room lol. You're fine, you got nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Anony 8:22.....crawling is no longer considered a milestone. It is more important that the baby learns to cruise and move, not necessarily crawl on hands and knees.

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/crawling

That said, for general information, that babies who spend too much time on their backs or baby containers do get delayed.   So as much floor time as possible or in arms gives babies the opportunity to develop stronger muscles.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• As others have aid, crawling is *not* considered a milestone any longer. The range of age a child begins to crawl ranges from never to 'after they're already walking" and everything in between. LOL! My oldest would roll to where he wanted to get to until he learned how to cruise....at 6 months old. He'd hold our hands or furniture and run. He took his first independent steps at 10 months old. He didn't start to crawl until he was about a year and figured out he could get under his train table, kitchen table, etc if he was lower to the ground. By that time he was an old pro at walking. My DD would scoot around on her bottom or use her upper body to pull herself around while her legs dragged behind her. She was walking (first step) at 9 1/2 months.

NEITHER had any developmental delays. In fact, both are very academically advanced and my DD is a gymnast in the advanced class for her age group.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Crawling, or some form of crawling, generally begins around 9 months of age. For more information on infant milestones and when they should be achieved, check out this AAP-endorsed growth chart from Pathways Awareness: http://bit.ly/6NUpfi. Pathways also has a unique developmental calendar with activities you can do to foster his development while he grows: http://bit.ly/5lGkTm.
    PathwaysMom

Answer by PathwaysMom at 11:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2010