how can i stop myself from being so worried about everything?

i often worry about my child getting sick, about what will happen to us if my husband should pass away or even if both my husband or myself should pass away what will happen to my 2yr old? this is stressing me out and i know it's not good for me but i wish i had control over it, please help me relax more about things i know i have no control over, im desperate!?

faz01

Asked by faz01 at 4:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ask your doctor for a referrral to a therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You can ease your mind by making some preparations.  Take out life insurance on your husband so that you and your child will be provided for, should something happen to him.  Decide who you want to raise your child if something happened to you both and make out a will naming them as your child's legal guardians.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Your worries are normal, but if they become so intrusive that you can't let them go you should see a doctor.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If you are suffering from intense worry, you should see a therapist. Talk to your doctor about a referral.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• all of the above and if yyou're religious pray and ask God to help you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It sounds to me like an anxiety issue. My DH suffers with one and my 4 yo is beginning to develop one as well. There are quite a few options here. The first of which is to see someone. However, this isn't an option everyone is open to or is able to do, so there are others. Here is what I suggest...

Learn the serenity prayer. It's mostly taught to addicts, but I feel it's something everyone should learn and recite in their life, it can help us all. Meditate, helping to lower your stress level, meditation will also lower your Anxiety level and help you to think more clearly...

There are also a great many "self help" books on the subject, any of which could help you.

The entire point is to learn to change the way you think. It's not easy. But it can be done and once it is you will learn not to worry about things you can't control.

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Some worry is normal. Taking appropriate precautions is appropriate. Worry, however, that controls your life and consumes is not. That is more like an anxiety disorder or depression. It's something that may require intervention either through therapy or treatment. So first, as others have said, share your concerns with your doctor.

When you're worrying, stop and force yourself to change direction. in other words, if you're saying "What if my child gets sick..." stop and say "but what if he doesn't. What if he's just a good, strong, healthy kid." I agree with Sabrina - work to change your train of thought. At the end of each day, identify the best part and the worst part of that day. Then find the silver lining to the low point. E.G. "I had extra cuddle time with my kid this am - high. It's raining cats and dogs - low. It *is* rain though and not snow. I'm so sick of snow! - silver lining."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It does help to take steps to prepare for such things. Life insurance, wills, power of attorney... all can really help with those worries.

However, if the worries become all consuming, even after making the preparations. Think about seeing a therapist, or a pastor, or someone for help. It's not healthy to let worries bring down every little moment of your day!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I have always been an anxious person, but after my miscarriage in March '09, my body went haywire and I started having major anxiety attacks. I went to a doctor and was put on a very very low dose of medication just to get me through the first part of therapy. Therapy is an AMAZING thing - I was sceptical at first, but I will go back again if my anxiety ever flairs up like it was. I would really consider looking into that. Another thing to consider is prayer. I have a strong faith in God and there are many verses in the Bible that you can learn and use when your anxiety flairs up and you begin to worry. Also, I have found writing things down does a world of good for me. Once I get something out on paper, it seems to leave my mind along and I can focus on what is truly and issue and what I was making into too big of a deal. I hope this helps! feel free to drop me a note if you ever want to talk! :)
    Annastacialynn

Answer by Annastacialynn at 10:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2010