Is a medical drama okay for a 5 year old?

My daughter loves these shows (ER, Mercy, Grey's Anatomy). We watch them together occasionally and she generally asks some questions, so we discuss what is going on. She doesn't seem bothered by the blood and guts or screaming.

We flipped channels last night and she kept telling me to turn it back to Mercy.

My husband says she is too young. Should I let her watch them?

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 5:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that as long as she isn't frightened by them and you are right there to answer any questions it is ok.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• She likes them and they don't cause nightmares or bother her in anyway then I see no issue with it. I use to watch shows like that as a kid, Have been addicted to ER since for as long as I can remember. I ended up going to school to be an EMT, starting in high school.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I let my 5 and 7 year old watch them. BUT we talk about the sexual parts in a open way and I fast forward if it is a "heavy" scene.
    shymom24

Answer by shymom24 at 6:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If she likes them then why not and if she has a question you answer them so it is okay. My son watches some things but if I think it is not right for him then i change the channel
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm going to disagree - maybe just give you a different perspective! :-) Those shows have a lot of high emotional situations in them. They are designed to get you hooked on the show - written so that you do have an emotional response to them. (You know how upset we get when a main character is killed off!) First, I wouldn't want my child getting that emotionally involved in something that is not real, while they are still figuring out the difference between acting and reality on tv. Second, even if they didn't get that emotionally involved in it, (this is just my theory - nothing to back it up) they are getting used to seeing things that they don't fully understand and becoming desensitized to it before they even can comprehend the seriousness and the grief involved in those real life situations. But that's just my opinion! :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Im a stick in the mud I guess. I think that kids are exposed to way to much grown up situations, and then mom and dad cant figure out why there 5 year old thinks he or she is 20. I think there is a time for adult drama, sex and blood/gore..........and its not at 5 years old.

But ~ You know your child better then anyone. If your comfortable with explaining about sex etc with your kiddo because its on an adult tv show then so be it. I personally think that at 5 kids will be just fine without watching adult rated television/movies :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Well, I have flipped it off in a hurry when certain scenes come on. I asked here because I am kindof torn on it. She never has nighmares. I hadn't thought of desensitization, though. She does have a really good idea of real/not real, since we talk about cartoons and video games as 'not real.

Thank you for your input!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 2:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i agree with your husband.
    samstress

Answer by samstress at 1:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'd be more concerned about the sexual undertones that go on in those shows especially Grey's. I think it's okay otherwise as long as you are there to field questions. Although lately, Grey's especially has gotten particularly bloody. She if she would like an older tv drama like Doogie Howser MD? You could probably get it on Netflix. It's just a thought. :)
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 10:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010