Seriously? What will Drs think of next?

I have never heard this but I was reading a post on another site and she said she is pregnant with number 3 and her Dr warned her that the 3rd child will normally get you a C-section and that moms freak out and worry more with the 3rd one because they have more symptoms than before.

Since when does the 3rd pregnancy normally earn you a C-section?
I told that girl to watch out that this Dr doesn't try to push her towards a C-section and scare her thru the whole pregnancy.

It is just so absurd. Have you ever heard that before?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Dr.'s are definitely pushing for c-sections these days. Not one of my girlfriends in the past 8 years had a natural birth...NOT KIDDING! I was the only one. The Dr. always seems to come up with good excuses & yes, they do scare moms into it & try to convince them that it is the best way to go. Dr's make more money on c-sections, & it's fast, easy & planned. Dr.'s don't really want to wait for you to go into labor, lots want your birth to be on THIER schedule, not the other way around.

My mom had 6 kids, i was the last. C-section was never ever mentioned. I would ifnd a different Dr. What a jerk to even say such things. He is already putting thoughts in her mind by doing so, i betcha his manipulation is working.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• WE don't know the full sTory.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What full story? She said he Dr told her that all 3rd pregnancies lead to C section normally. There is no story behind it anon.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't by that. My mom, MIL, Grandma-IL, and Grandma (to name a few) had 3+ babies each and none had a csection. Now if there was prior history there then I can see a dr saying that.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 7:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No clue where the doc gets this idea from but I have never heard about something like this before. Maybe he gets more money when he performs a c-section compared to a "normal" birth. Some doctors are just idiots. I know that because I have worked with A LOT of them. I would get a second opinion and if need be, a third one. No pregnant woman should worry about something like that during a pregnancy instead of enjoying the time.
    AtillaTheHun

Answer by AtillaTheHun at 8:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No. That's just silly. The more pregnancies you've had the shorter labor tends to be and quite frankly the more relaxed you are because you've been through this twice.

Not to mention...what about the women who give birth to their 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. child at home without any complications? They obviously don't end up with a c-section.

Maybe he meant women who give birth in a hospital? But then wait...A lady at my church just gave birth to her 3rd in a hospital and didn't end up with a c-section so that doesn't work either.

His theory is flawed.

Sounds to me like he's pushing women into having c-sections. That's NOT good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yeah that doesn't sound right. I had a wonderful doctor the second time around, he worked with me and respected my wishes to not have another c-section. I had a VBAC. That doctor sounds fishy, if i were your friend, i would find a new OB or keep stressing to him/her that she wants to try a VBAC this time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• that is silly!!! what a jerk for stressing that mom out.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 8:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Ah... I have four children. With each one I had a completely normal birth... even third and forth.I was warned however, that a fifth child would be likely to "fall out" of me, so they suggested I not have any more. A lady I go to church with is on her seventh kid, and she had to have a c-section because the baby was breech and the cord was wrapped around her neck.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i hate how some DR's do that.... my sister in law had a wonderful pregnancy and the baby was breech and she got a c-section (because her dr told her it was the quickest way to get baby out, and she agreed with him, which i think is sill but anyway im getting off topic) and then he has since told her that she will only be able to have 3 kids because you can only have 3 c-sections in your life and she will have to get c-sections for all her kids because her first was one... WHAT CRUD!!! im so against c-sections if you dont need them. If you need them and they will save you and babies life then im all for them, but why have an operation when its soooooo not needed.
    if i was this women i would seek another DR!!!!!
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2010