when should i put my child in the corner time out does not work for my boys

I would like to try putting my boys in the corner for disipline because time out does not work i am not sure when or how to begin this

radeda

Asked by radeda at 8:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Putting a kid in the corner is time-out. That's how we do it in our house. Sitting in a chair didn't work with my kids. They thought it was play time and the other kids would entertain them. I got fed up and started putting the older kids in the corner when they were 3, 4 and 5. I use the same 1 minute per age guideline like in timeout but they have to stay standing in the corner. The older they get the more rules.
    My oldest is 9 now and she has to stand for 9 minutes with her nose and toes touching the wall and her hands at her sides. If she fidgets or whines I reset the clock (after a couple warnings). My youngest is just turning 4 and up until she turned 3 she just had to stay in the corner (she could sit or stand and face any direction). At 3 she had to start facing the wall and standing. Now that she will be 4 she will have to be touching the wall and keep her hands at her sides.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If time out doesn't work I would take away some privilages.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i do put them in the corner for time out. a nice empty boring corner. and standing up.... not sitting
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010