Should he be charged as an adult?

(CNN) -- An 11-year-old boy is facing adult charges in the shooting death of his father's pregnant girlfriend, authorities said Saturday.

Police say Kenzie Marie Houk's daughter found her shot to death in her bed on Friday.

Police say the boy shot Kenzie Marie Houk, who was eight months pregnant, once at point-blank range in her farmhouse in western Pennsylvania.

The boy, whose name was withheld by CNN because he is a juvenile, was charged with one count each of criminal homicide and homicide of an unborn child in the death of Houk, 26, Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo told CNN.

cont. at http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/21/boy.homicide/index.html

more:www.wpxi.com/news/18760897/detail.html

They are discussing it on Good Morning America this morning. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/young-child-face-life-sentence-jordan-brown-murder/story?id=10065643

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NO child should be charged as an adult. There was a reason that a juvenile court was created and they should have stuck with the concept. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, honestly, it depends on his background. Parents can really f*ck up a child by divorce, dating around and not taking the time to make sure the children are adjusting to the situation. I think most parents don't stop to think about the impact of the child while their moving from one relationship to another. What motivated him to kill his fathers girlfriend? That speaks volume to me. It looks like he saw her as a threat, which goes back to being the parents fault. Looks like their weren't doing their part. That boy had some issues that built up over time and NEVER dealt with.Over all, I don't think he should get life in jail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, not at 11. That's very young, and what was his motivation? Had he been 15 or 16, I'd feel differently, but he's really just a kid. Life would be WAYYYY too long.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Eleven, NO.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• NO. his name is jordan and he is my second cousin, his father my first. we are from new castle pa and it seems everyone here wants him to rot in prison, im glad some of you ladies agree with my family. THANKS SO MUCH
    samantha107

Answer by samantha107 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• That is so awful!! I think his case should be handled by the juvenile court system until he is 18 and then he should be re-evaluated to see what his mental state is. I have to wonder where he got the gun?!?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• They have to stop making this a choice of minor or adult and come up with a better system. Should he go away forever, no. But should he be released and his record erased at 18, no. There has got to be some middle ground.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't think he should be charged as an adult either. Honestly, I am concerned about what brought the whole thing about. Eleven year olds don't just pick up guns and murder in cold blood. What happened to bring it about?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No way. They need to stop with this crap of charging minors as adults. If you want to charge them as an adult then we should let them drive and vote. This is just nuts. Makes me sick. Before law reform a couple of years ago, they used to give the death penalty to children. Sick!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• At age 11, kids have a grasp of what death is & the finality involved. They also know what guns are, & what they do, unless they are extremely sheltered. He absolutely should be charged as an adult, if he has that kind of knowledge (which a court appointed psychiatrist can determine).
    I am so sick of seeing older kids murder people, & then hearing, "Oh, but he or she is just a child! They couldn't possibly have known any better!" That is such complete & utter BULLSH*T.

If there is some kind of background, like abuse or something, that should be taken into consideration in sentencing. But he still took 2 lives, and should be charged with 2 counts of murder. I don't think he should get the death penalty, but if he has already murdered someone at the age of 11, what kind of adult is he going to turn out to be??

Adult actions = adult consequences.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2010