Would you agree with this statement? Why or Why not?

Children who come from poverty often have apathetic parents who refuse to, or are unable to work with their children at home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Disagree. I have seen plenty of apathetic parents outside of poverty and there have been plenty of parents of families in poverty that aren't apathetic. Apathy isn't a class issue.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I agree because your statement is true. The use of the word often shows that not all parents in poverty don't give a flip about their kids and their needs. I think it's a mental thing for many. Those in real poverty have more a chance of being depressed in life and apathetic to life itself. Others have turned to drugs or illegal means of surviving. They have decided there is nothing they can do to better their lives and so they don't. It shows in all aspects of their lives including parenting.

I also agree that there are parents much more well off who don't seem to have time for their kids. It happens in all walks of life, just for different reasons.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I've heard this over and over. When I mentioned a school district's graduation rate fell every year and is now a dismal 48.2%, people were quick to blame the parents. When you talk about inner-city schools with even lower graduation rates, people blame the parents. In our area, people are quick to blame the poor kids off the reservation for the low test scores.

It seems like a generalization, but there is more to it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Children who come from poverty often have apathetic parents who refuse to, or are unable to work with their children at home.

Volunteering in the inner city schools with the reading initiative program in my area, I agree. Often times, yes.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Parents who are "working poor" often don't have time or resources for their children. I've taught children whose parents worked 2nd and 3rd shift, who were left home alone in 3rd grade because the parents couldn't afford a sitter, who came to school in the same clothes every day... their parents were trying to pay rent, keep heat on, keep food on the table. Those parents weren't able to come to PTA meetings or help with homework.

Some public schools in our area have contracted private companies to come into the schools with teachers and give special instruction to children who are Title 1-- free and reduced lunch-- because they statistically under perform.

It's appalling that in a country as rich as ours children go to bed hungry and can't read.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Children who come from poverty often have uneducated parents who are unable to help their children. You can't give something you don't have. With that being said, however, many children who live in poverty have had parents who were hard on their children to success and do better for themselves. Poverty can be a curse or a blessing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yes, It take a village to raise a child and without at least one parent willing to devote a lot of time and energy into education if wavers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It takes a village if the parents are ignorant and apathetic.

Otherwise, the conscientious can do it themselves.

Otherwise, the village needs to mind their business and stay out of mine.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We're the working poor. We live barely above the poverty level. True, we don't have access to expensive after school treats and team sports. Thankfully our daughter isn't old enough yet to care or to go to school. Good thing I'm starting college in the fall! I hate being compared to "apathetic" parents. Goodness.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If parents are unable to help, it is not due to apathy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2010