Can anyone recommend an airline that has reasonable rates for children flying alone?

I am recently divorced and have to start flying my 10 and 6 year old alone on planes from NJ to FL to visit their dad. Spirit wants $400 extra dollars on top of airfare for the unaccompanied minor fee. This is outrageous! I can not afford that. I have to also pay for travel as part of the arrangement. Any suggestions?

RYAN1199

Asked by RYAN1199 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Travel

• $400 dollars is outrageous, but sending children on a plane alone... you think that's OK? Yeah here's a suggestion, go with them, and then fly right back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't agree to them traveling alone but as a single parent with a court order telling me what I have to do I don't have many options. Hundreds and prob thousands of children already do this, it is not that unusual I am told. I am not going to be able to fly with them everytime and I know for a fact this is not an option for their father. I thought of flying with them as my ticket would be cheaper than the $400 but their dad will not commit to doing that on his end. Just looking for airline advice. Thanks.
    RYAN1199

Answer by RYAN1199 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• A child flying alone is not eligible for a discounted fare.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010