Pain medication after child birth and breastfeeding?

What pain medication did you take after (vaginal) child birth when you were nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can take hydrocodone (vicadin) while BFing. I know your question said vaginal, I've had 3 c-sections, but I took vicadin while nursing after all 3 and vacadin is my doctor's choice for vaginal delivery as well.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Tylenol. I only ever needed Tylenol for pain after my vaginal births. After my c/s they left the epi in and gave me morphine for the first couple days after the surgery. After that I had Tylenol 3 up until about a week later, then just Tylenol for a few more days.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I didn't except for two days of tylenol for the nipple pain (we had latch issues and it was excrutiating until we got it fixed asap). I rarely take medication. I used warm water in a peribottle to help with the pee burn, and cold packs between my legs to soothe swelling. Mainly rest.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• vicodine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I had a c-section and I was taking percoset after for two weeks and breast feeding. I was concerned about it but the doctor assured me it was okay.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't think I took any after my second birth, but I had some pretty painful injuries with my first delivery. I took extra strength Tylenol and ibuprofen. I took them on a schedule so that they never wore off.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 10:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I never needed any, but I am on tussonex right now, and it has hydrocodone in it. I'm also breastfeeding, so it must be fine. My doctor always checks before prescribing.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Percocet and Motrin while in hospital. Motrin at home.

After c section, Percocet and Motrin in hospital. Vicoprofun and Motrin at home.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i never had pain that made me consider taking anything. i wouldn't worry about it until the time comes...you may have no unbearable pain at all!
    good luck with your delivery and baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2010