new puppy, old dog

my 9 year old dog hates our new puppy! I don't know what to do, we have tried everything, I spend as much time as I can with the older dog one on one, we try to keep them apart when they are eating or if the older one is in her bean bag, the new puppy is not allowed in our bedroom. I just need some tips on how to get the older dog to tolerate the puppy, she bit him last night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Pets

• Keep them seperated for alittle while and little by little let them hang out until things get to normal your older dog is feeling atad jealous and the new puppy is just trying to get familiar with the new suroundings. Just give it time.
    Don't let them hang out alone with eachother just bring the puppy out with you and be there with your older dog and do this daily before you know it they'll be best of friends. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Did the older dog actually break the skin? It is okay for the older dog to tell the pup to leave them alone or to calm down if the pup is getting to rambunctios in play.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Take them for a walk together and play games together with them they will get use to each other fast if you just keep things moving
    mmy2g1b

Answer by mmy2g1b at 6:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We have the same age difference with our dogs. Old dog pretended to hate puppy for almost 2 years. Old dog would nip puppy, take away puppy's toys, knock puppy over... Puppy is annoying. Puppy peed in the house while he was learning. Old dog hates pee in the house. Old dog knows that puppy is stupid.

Unless old dog is harming puppy, let them work it out. One day, you'll come home and old dog and puppy will be snuggling on the doggie bed together and licking each other's ears. Then when old dog is caught, he'll get up and act like you hallucinated the whole thing. It's a pack mentality thing. This is how dogs show their spot in the pack.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2010