What kind of business should my SO start?

I really love it when my fiance is able to be home from work and he doesn't particularly like getting up and going! lol (Most people feel the same, I'm sure) And we talked about him working from home or starting his own business and I was wondering what y'all thought. He works in IT right now. He has a lot of experience with all kind of computer stuff. Programming, etc. He can build one from scratch. He has all kinds of training and used to do some stuff on the side, helping other people with their computer problems. I think that if he finished his college degree and such that he could start his own business. What kind of things could he do?

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• If he's going to start his own business he doesn't need a college degree. That being said I don't think that this is the time or that's the field to be starting his own business. Being in the IT field there are a ton of jobs that would allow him to work from home. In this uncertain economy not being on a payroll is a very irresponsible thing to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think a computer repair or technical support type business might be a good idea. Especially if he can do house calls.
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 10:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Why not give it a try while he is working at his job? That way he can build a business and client base while still getting a paycheck. That type of business will thrive on referrals so he will need clients to be successful. He could work at it in the evenings and on weekends until it gets big enough. I would also suggest reading Bob Burg's book Endless Referrals.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thanks gals :)
    He is concerned about it not being a secure paycheck like the one he has now working for the Army. I am wondering where he could look for those jobs where he can be home more. Like telecommuting and stuff
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I agree with CorinaWithrow. Try starting his own business while he has a steady income coming in from the army. I quit my job last November to try my own business, and it did not take off as well as I had hoped. So I am now looking for a job with a steady paycheck.
    proadoption

Answer by proadoption at 1:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• He shouldn't quit his job until he has something stable going on. One thing you said raises a concern with me...you said he doesn't like getting up and getting going. Running your own business takes a LOT of discipline. If you aren't really careful laziness can creep in and if it does your business will fail.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• How about computer tech issues such as cleaning up a computer from viruses... programming .. or even website design.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 11:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2010