Along the lines of school closures.....I noticed a lot of "Late arrival and early release" hours in the school this year, is that happening where you live?

I homeschool so I didn't notice it right away. Just curious if that is nationwide.

Whatkids

Asked by Whatkids at 9:51 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have noticed A LOT of days off kids are getting now.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We are in NC. The schools here usually have 2 early dismissal days. However, it has snowed alot this year. Not only are they having school on Saturday, they now have to go to school till June 11th. They usually get out June 5th or 6th.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We've been given days off school and teachers are not paid. Tomorrow is a furlough day, everyone is off without pay, I think we had 6 this year and teachers are to take an addtional 3 days of their choosing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yes it is happening here-Kansas City, DS cannot go to the school across the street because it isn't racially balanced enough for them,,,,he is now going to K about 25 minutes away,,,,and we still don't know for sure if he is getting in there! I noticed that they are having tons of early release days here,,,,I am glad you can home school, it isn't an option for us!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The local school is doing late arrival every Monday, and I know they have early release too.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm in Ct and we don't have that in my local system at all. In fact, I hadn't heard of it at all except on CM. None of my friends in other towns and said anything about it either. Weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Our local schools have early release Wednesdays once month and teacher in service day one Friday a month.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My dd's school has 1 or 2 early release days a month. They are earned w/good grades. If you don't make the grade, you have to stay until the regular school day ends. We love it, good grade incentives, + if you have missing work from illeness, etc. those days are used to make those up. The delays are only if needed on snow days.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 10:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• *illness
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 10:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I also homeschool so this isn't affecting us at all, but my mom said where she lives in SC, the teachers are getting a lot of unpaid "furlough" days and the students are missing a lot of days. She said it has to do with the state budget or something. I live in PA and the students around here missed a lot of days because of the snowstorm, I don't know how much they have to make up. So glad we homeschool, it's been business as usual for us!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2010