Do you have your baby girl wear onsies?

I ask because with my first (a boy) I had him wear onsies underneath due to my husbands insistance that he should always wear a t-shirt under his clothes. I personally found this layering unecessary and a pain. I much prefer the sleep and plays or an actual outfit. The less clothes, the quicker the diaper change. How do you all feel about the need to use onsies in addition to other clothes?

tarabartish

Asked by tarabartish at 9:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never do unless it is really cold and layering is needed. Go with the sleep and plays - way easier on you too!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I've always used them for my son when he was a baby and I always put one on my baby girl now. I guess I just feel like she should have something on underneath her clothes..like undergarments.In the summer I'm sure I will lay off the onsies under everything on hot days but would still use them if I was using it as a top on her. I feel weird not layering I don't know why..never really thought about it,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Both of my girls were born in November and since I live in the midwest......layering is a must! I agree it's a pain, but It's more important for them to be warm.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I put onesies on my baby as the primary outfit. I only layer pants and a short sleeve overshirt, or long sleeve sweater if it is cold and we are going out, otherwise I use babylegs in the house to keep her legs warm. Changing with a onesie only is whole lot easier. Babies are tactile creatures, too many clothes is a pain for us and them. They like skin on skin contact. When my baby girl was newborn she was naked most of the time next to me, even in the dead of winter. Sometimes if it was especially chily I would put on a short sleeve side snap tshirt and use a blanket to cover us both. Nothing keeps a baby comfortable better than body heat.

People tend to overdress babies. IF you are comfortable, baby is comfortable.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We do exactly what amileegirl said her family does.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Onesies were my daughter's primary outfit for her first year of life LOL. We even went through a stage where all she wore was a diaper because she was teething constantly and ruined far too many outfits with drool.

All that layering is seriously unnecessary.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Haha caitxrawks... my baby just has on a diaper right now. Naked mornings :) I'll dress her when we go do an errand. Totally naked butt time in the afternoon....she likes to be without bulk between her legs so she can roll over grab her feet easily, and can sit unassisted longer (supervised) without a diaper.

I don't know how babies stay sane with a diaper, onesie, shirt, pants, hat, mittens, socks, and blanket....egads!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Unless it was really cold, I just had both of mine (boy and girl) in onesies, and nothing layered on the outside. Although when my son was real little, and my ex hated this lol I tried having him in a onesie and socks laying on his blanket on the floor, but he kept kicking the socks off and his feet got cold. I solved the problem by putting him in a pair of tights, then socks, then the onesie. lol But always either dark or light blue, or red tights. If we went out, I'd put his pants on over the tights and an extra shirt.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i started using onesies on my twins just a few months ago (they are 2)...but i am just trying to keep their hands out of their diapers!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If it's cold, sure. If not, not really.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2010