Judge Declares Acorn funding ban unconstitutional

Judge Nina Gershon has ruled that congress acted unconstitutionally when they banned federal funding of Acorn.
What I want to know is why should Acorn have to be funded at all? This is tax dollars they are using, my money, your money. I don't think anyone or any group should automatically get federal funding. Just another reason lobbying and earmarks should be illegal.
Whats your take?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Does this mean that ACORN actually did have its funding discontinued permanently?? I heard that Congress had indeed stopped the funding, due to citizens' reaction to having their taxpayer money flowing in to the organization under indictment in so many states for registration fraud and also shown in several locations to have a less than law-abiding attitude in helping clients. Which was good. BUT - the funding freeze was only for one month, and then went back to normal.

Like you, I cannot figure out how any organization has a RIGHT to funding - they APPLY for funding, they do or do not fulfill the requirements for that funding, and it either continues or not.

Being under indictment for misconduct, repeatedly and in many states - SHOULD disqualify ANY organization. But then I'm not in that business, so I'm not certain.

And what particular issue was the Judge asked to address?

Many questions ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• WHY IS ACORN BEING FUNDED??? How does one stop this? Congress is a joke.I for one wouldn't even pay taxes if Ithought it wasn't illegal.
    satire

Answer by satire at 11:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Waldorfmom

It was because the acusations were just that and not proven. Like being perceived as guilty before proven guilty. So why not just tell them we are not giving you any money. They don't need a ban.
    I have no idea whether or not they have to give them funding but I don't see why they should have to give any group anything.
    Gosh, the corruption in our government is becoming so apparent these days.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• ACORN just needs to be forced out. It's not unconstitutional to not fund something. We have a Chicago thug as president. What else can you expect.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010