whats ok to use for a bad cough for a 9 mo old?

She needs a cough suppressant but the store doesnt have anything for infants. I got this childrens pedia care but can i use it?

teddybear_momma

Asked by teddybear_momma at 10:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you can't use a medicine designed for a 6 year old on a 9 mo old
    Try steaming up your bathroom and sitting in it, elevate her mattress, use vicks and wait it out
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, You can't use really anything for a young baby, Only time my daughter had a cough suppressant was when she was really sick and the Dr wrote a medical prescription for it.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't know of anything over-the-counter. Our pediatrician gave us a prescription for C-Phen, and it has worked really well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Call your doctor and ask him. I don't know of anything over the counter that would be safe.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Like pp's said you shouldn't use a medication unless it's prescribed. My DD just had a horrible wet sounding cough and when I took her in to the dr he said she had a virus. He told me to sit with her in a steam shower 2-3 times a day for 10 minutes, elevate her mattress by putting a pillow underneath it, and start using a humidifier in her room. They are all little things, but they do work! Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• just like silvia said!
    i know it is soo hard to watch our lo's be sick, or uncomfortable. just know that suppressing the cough would be worse for her in the long run.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Only what a Dr. prescribes. Other then that, sit in a steamy bathroom, use a vaporizer/humidifier.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I agree with everyone above. You can't give her anything at this age. If it gets so bad that it seems like she's having trouble breathign, call the ped and they'll have you come in so she can get asthma medication. but do not give her the medicine you bought.
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 12:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Nothing!! Your not even supposed to give a three or four year old anything over the counter because of all the problems that have come of it. For a cough you need to use a humidifier it works wonders and still does for my three year old. Now if its more then a cold then the doctor might prescribe something more safe then over the counter medicine. Like when my son was a little under 2 he had to take an inhaler and two different antibiotics because he got phnemonia.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010