I probably totally sound like a first time mom with this question but...

what can I give my baby to eat? She is 7 months old, mainly breastfed, but that is because she refuses to eat baby food, cereal, yogurt (anything with that smooth texture, it doesn't matter how good it taste) She loves to eat our food at dinner so I do chop up our meal for her to eat. That is really the only real food she eats during the day. Anyway, the problem now is she will nurse for like 5 or so minutes and then decide she doesn't want that anymore, she wants food. DH is says just give her food, but I know that she needs the nutrients from breast milk or at least formula until a year. She refuses a bottle but will take formula in a sippy cup (I give this to her at dinner when we are eating as well) but she doesn't have the sippy cup totall down that we could switch to it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess I am just getting frustrated because I don't know what to give her and she seems to be self (cont).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• (cont.) self-weaning already! Any suggestions would be gladly accepted. Oh, and no offense to first time moms. This is my third baby and I just feel like I should know what I am doing. But she is also my only breast fed one so it is all different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• She's likely just very efficient at the breast. Table food is excellent. Instead of feeding her from a spoon, give her a hunk to gnaw on. She won't ingest too much and breastmilk will still be her primary nutrition. Food before one is just for fun, so let her play. She's curious and experimenting. Give her whatever you are eating as long as it isn't too small.No need to get furstrsated...go with the flow.   Go here to learn about how babies can feed themselves and what is good to give at what ages:   http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Why not pump milk into a sippy cup? And continue to feed your baby healthy table food?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• remember offfer breast as usual!   Food is not a replacement remember, its play.     Of course you can pump and give in a cup, but you don't need too.   Water instead of breastmilk in a cup is good to play with and for learning.   

And here is a chart:   http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/schema/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It's good that you nurse before solids. Table foods mashed up are fine. As PP said, she is probably a very effeciant nurser, and gets what she needs in those few mins. You could encourage her to nurse a little longer if you're worried, but if she's healthy, gaining, and you're changing 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs, she should be fine. How many times (average) do you nurse daily, and how often is she getting solids?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• OP here - She nurses about 5 to 6 times a day. Right before bed and after sleeping for 6 hours is when she seems to really nurse but the other times are the really short, 5 minute nursings. She usually eats some gerber puffs in the morning and then only getting solids when we eat dinner. Sometimes in the afternoon I try some yogurt but if she eats any it is only like 6 or so bites or if she is awake she will eat some little bits of my lunch. The one poster said about giving her big chunks to gnaw on. She has teeth and bites off big pieces so I can't do that.
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem with my son, but he was only nursed until he was about 4 months old (I returned to work FT) I tried introducing him to cereal, he ate it for about a couple of weeks, I thought I tried stage 1 food, would not eat it. Anyway, he's 8 months old now, he's on formula and table foods. He goes to an inhome daycare so he is used to eating home cook meals, he eats soups with veggies, spagetti, well just about anything (in small pieces of course) but he has not been on any type of baby food consistently. I was always afraid to tell people I didn't give him baby food because I didn't want to be judge but I talked to his ped and he said some babies just like the texture and taste of normal food and that it would not hurt him, so he's been eating with us since about 5 1/2 months old. good luck I know what you're going through!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010