help,my 15 month old daughter is out of controle!

hi ladies,my 15 month old daghther is out of controle,she screams,bites,hit,smakes...me and hubby.if i take her out and she wants to walk,she will make a scene crying screaming....if a let her walk shell run everywhere....please what can i do?any advices?thanks

tigernina

Asked by tigernina at 10:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make her ride in a cart or stoller. Don't take her out when she is tired. Give her a job to help you -take snacks or a small toy to keep her busy.
    Good luck
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• First, you need firm and consistent consequences for her negative behavior. When my daughter is doing something naughty she gets ONE warning to stop it. If she doesn't stop it she gets time out for 2 minutes alone in her room. She learns REALLY fast what she can and can't get away with that way. Next, you need to praise her every single day for good things she does. When she realizes that her good behavior has positive consequences and her bad behavior has negative, she will prefer the positive. Kids often act out trying to get attention when they aren't being praised enough.

As far as running around when you let her down, that's normal kid behavior. What I did with my daughter once she started walking and wanting to run everywhere was to take her to a place where she COULD run around on a regular basis, like a park or somewhere open where she had lots of stuff to explore.

CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• CONT

Then when we were out and about and she had to stay with me, she HAD TO STAY WITH ME. If we were grocery shopping, for example and she didn't want to be in the cart, she got to walk, but she had to hold on to the cart the whole time. If she tries to run away, give her her one warning and then put her in the cart for a "time out" if she doesn't stop. After a minute or two, remind her that she needs to hold on to your hand or the cart or whatever, and let her down to try again. If it keeps up too much, then postpone shopping and take her home.

This is a tough age, but with consistancy and love it passes pretty quickly :)

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm sorry, let's see, I think the best way to deal with a screamer is to ignore it, its not easy to do but when she sees that that behavior gets her no where she will stop. I don't know what to do about hitting or bitting, but when we were little if we would bit my mom would bit us back, it sounds crazy I know but it worked we didn't bit,so you could try that, not hard enough to bruise just enough that she relises bitting hurts. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010