At times, do you feel the computer is your only source of the social world?

I have been a stay at home mom for about a year now. I love being home with my baby, don't get me wrong and I wouldn't change it for the world. Before being a stay at home mom, I've always worked and enjoyed working and being around other adults. We've recently had to sell the 2nd car so I'm kinda just stuck at home while the hubby is at work. I find myself clinging to the computer and the phone more and more often just to reach out to talk to some peers..other adults! It's sad but true. Anyone else experiencing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yep, me too. DH started a new job last week, nights and he's been doing doubles all week. He gets home about 5:30 and has to be back to work about 1:00. The only live person I've talked to in over a week was a pizza delivery guy that had the wrong address.

I'm about to go off my nut! Stepboys are 4 and 5 and we're basically stuck in the house allllll day long. I haven't had a break from these two since last August, I got to have 2-1/2 hrs to myself to go have lunch with a friend that isn't really speaking to me anymore cuz I can never go anywhere.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The computer is my only source of social interaction. =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I feel your sad face anon 59. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sometimes, but the reality is that outside of CM (which is purely for entertainment purposes) I use it to keep in touch with people I know IRL... Not nameless, faceless "people" I meet on the internet... I do stumble a lot in my spare time though. There is a lot of good info to be had, an endless wealth of knowledge that can be consumed if you are bored, or feel isolated.

Right at the moment i am searching for work, and doing what I can from home... It makes things complicated when you do not vax, and private establishments will not provide child care to you (which they can legally do, it sucks!). So, until fall I still have 2 @ home, and then I can place the youngest in a home care scenario and work full time. YAY!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I am with you. I don't have time for any other social life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sometimes
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yes. If it were not for the computer I would have no interaction with anyone besides my sons. I'll make a phone call once in a while and the landlady wants her rent money once a month, but, still.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• OMG, yes! The internet is the only "social" interaction I ever get anymore! I mean, my boyfriend and his friends come over to hang out sometimes, but other than that it is my daughter and myself 24/7 :(
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• LOL daisy521...its funny that you mention the delivery man as the only person you've talked to all week. Anytime some poor stranger happens to ask him how I am doing anymore I just go full force into a conversation and I know they are just standing there like"this woman is nuts" lol. Its that bad! I am going insane. If it werent for the computer..I wouldnt be going insane, I'd already be insane, LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The internet is a big part of my socializing. I don't have the money or inclination to go out dating and definitely not interested in dating sites. My computer connects me to the world and also a quick way to stay in touch with friends.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010