Can you correct a "fit throwing?"

My son is 14 months old and everyday its a battle over things he can't have such as remote control and cell phone. I have given him an old remote so he can have his own and we have bought him play cell phones so he can play with. When I see him trying to get remote or phone he literally throws a screaming and crying fit. I have ignored the fit as much as possible and most of the time it works but is there a way to correct it while its happening? We try to keep all things out of his reach but the fits happen usually when are using the remote or phone. Any advice?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We found it very effective to simply lock our kids in their crib and shut their door until they were done with the fit. When they stopped screaming we would ask if they were ready to behave and come out. If we were out, no matter where we were, we left and strapped them into their car seat until they stopped. I would stand outside the car, with the door shut, until they were done. Neither of our kids engaged in fit throwing for long. When they realize you aren't ever going to give in to that behavior, they stop.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• ouch. butshe'sgot a point! you need to be stern , first keep tempations out of site,second keep him busy, arts, music, bock books etc.have soething to divert hisattention to.then he's old enough for a 30 second 1 min time out have small chair in a certain spot and buy a timer! be consistant standing with him for a few days. everything bad he goes to time out. it gets easier with mine ithreaten the chairand they quickly moveonb tto soethingelse good luck find what works for u
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:39 AM on Mar. 11, 2010