Is DH's 401K mandatory to take?

I found out I have cancer. We're jobless due to no fault of our own. Times are beyond tough & tight. I was provivded a community care form from the hospital. Due to all of our hardships, breakdowns and problems we have nothing left. We can't meet our basic needs. Etc.. Now my worries are overwhelming. My health ordeal Etc. I have NO 401K or anyhing like that! But is DH's 401K touchable? Can they force us to use it for my health care? Its all DH has left and he lost a lot. I'm a Burden! I can't afford to live or die it seems! Anyone know? In this section to get more replies. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know 100% but I don't think they can make you cash it in. Beware that if you do there is a HUGE penalty come tax time.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure, but I think it depends on how much is in it. I had under $30,000 in mine and was not told that I had to use it. I also received state aid for medical for me and my family. I guess you won't know until you fill out the paperwork and send it in. Sorry if they make you use it. And as previous poster stated you will get taxed come income tax time. At least 10%.
    Anonymous

• I believe that a 401k is a protected assest.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010