Is the University of Phoenix online, the real deal?

Do you think online programs really work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes. I'm actually a UOP Online student. It's hard work, but it helps that they seperate the classes, so you're only taking 2 at once. It's actually kind of fun, but challenging at the same time. I attend the UOP because it allows me to work on my own time when the kids are in bed. All in all, I love being a Phoenix!!!
    MommyOfFive2010

Answer by MommyOfFive2010 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• They are so lame, MY Dh did it for a short while. The work had NOTHING to do with what he was wanting to work towards and they charged WAY to much.
    It is so not worth it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yes they are a legit school but I am not sure if I would go with them over a local college that offers online stuff.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No - many employers will not even look at resumes that list for profit schools as the education. Much better to go to a local college/university and take their online classes.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No I went there and I would not advise anybody to go there.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• None of the schools in Utah will take a single transfer credit from them.
    One school I called in Washington said they'd accept maybe one or two credits from them
    2 other Washington state schools said no.
    None of the businesses that I called would accept a degree from them.
    They are accredited, but that doesn't mean getting a degree from them is worth it.

Most community colleges have online programs now for 1/4 the cost of UOP. Check it out.
    Anonymous

• My DH tried UOP for a while and ended up quitting. They werent teaching him anything he needed and it was way to pricey. I took classes at Argosy University online and loved it. Got my Bachlors quick, i think online schools work but we just hated UOP.
    lyz826

Answer by lyz826 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010