Tips on Potty Training my 3 year old!

He is 3 years old (6-8) and I have been working with him for 1 and 1/2 years now and still nothing! For the most part I can get him to go pee in the potty but anything else is a joke!

Asked by amanda_sullins at 4:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you. What we have been trying is something my mom saw on Nanny 911. One we tell our son that he cannot go to pre-school in September unless he learns to go in the potty (this has been helping) and then we talk about the "Poopoo Fairy", we tell him that for everytime he goes to the potty or poo in the potty chair that we put a clean daiper in a ziplock bag. Once the bag is full of daipers you have him put the bag in the mail box and then the "Poopoo Fairy" brings him a special gift to mark his acheivement. My son really likes this idea.

Answer by mommajess2026 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• There are several things you can do,
    does'nt guarantee they will work for you.
    You can make it fun by buying the sticker charts with his favorite stickers and everytime he goes he gets to put on
    his own special sticker. You can give him lots of water and ask him to sit on the potty for a while to guarantee that he goes.
    Positive reinforcement worked on my son. Lots of praise. Boys can also go potty with daddy, that helps. Boys also like when you throw colored cereal in the tiolet to aim at they think that's great. Good Luck. Boys are harder, I've been told.
    My son has taken about a yr. and is finally going many weeks without an accident. Just be patient with it and it will come in time. You can also send him a letter from his favorite cartoon character in the mail asking him if he's ready to go on the potty. Put stickers on the letter a if it was from them personally. They'll be super excited!

Answer by jenrae10 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Just stick him in under wear. After a few times peeing on himself he will learn. Thats what did for my son. At first i got mad and stop then After he turn 3 on the june 6th I had him running outside with no pull up or underwear just shorts. It was that! After that i decided just underwear. He didnt like peeing on himself. It took a week to potty train. The only issue is pooping but hes got the idea now. Try it and see if it works.

Answer by ShootingStars08 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2008