Long Distance Relationship - How do you cope and keep it going until you can be together?

I am in a long distance relationship with a man that is 1000 miles away. We have visted each other 3 times since Aug and have planned a 4th meeting the first week of April. We talk nightly and text daily. The problem is that we miss each other so much that we find ourselves dwelling on the separation and not the love we feel for each other. Actually, The love we do have causes the frustrations of not being together to share daily life. I am newly separated and still dealing with issues from that. He has been divorced for 2 1/2 years and a little more settled. Our conversations, while loving, sometimes hit a plateau and we end up focusing on not being together and missing each other. It carries the conversation to a melancholy mood and depresses us both to some degree. As a woman I want to discuss those feelings. Being a man, he would rather clam up and that createstension. Help! We want this to work.

teacherspet_too

Asked by teacherspet_too at 11:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (-117 Credits)
  • long distance relationships are hard...i was in one 2 years ago with a guy i truly loved....i came home on weekends and we talked to each other every night but the distance was too much and it tore us apart. we broke up the day i came home for good...i was devastated... so i never recommend long distance relationships...i guess the can work but most of them don't....even couples who were together for years and were madly in love have been broken by distance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I was in a long distance relationship.  I lived in Canada and he lived in England.  Honestly, the only way it can work, is if one of you re-locates.   That's what I did.  We have been happily married now for 21 years and we moved back to Canada 10 years ago.

Good luck!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010