only child

tell me the good and bad about being an only child

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Its boring, when your grounded you REALLY have no one to play with. It gets kinda lonely.....upside...i NEVER had to share my attention, or my toys or my clothes. I was the only female grandchild for awhile so i was extra spoiled. My mom had to stretch a dollar for me everynow and then, i could imagine we wouldve been in a REALLY bad situation if she had more than just me!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I have only one child who is 6 years old. Being bored is definitely a down-side that I can notice with her. The other children in our neighborhood are either quite a bit older than her or they are babies. I always feel bad when we go out to do fun things because I'm sure it's not fun going with Mom & Dad. I just know she would enjoy it a lot more if there were another child there for her to relate to.
    On the up-side, she never has to do without anything that she needs. If her behavior is acceptable, she also get some things that she wants. Also, she really appreciates the time that she has with her cousins and friends, so she plays really well and doesn't hesitate to share her things. My MIL told me a few years ago that kids who are an only child turn out to be spoiled brats who don't know how to share. I'm proud to prove her wrong with my little girl.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 12:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• One thing I learned recently.......an only child of a 99 year old woman spoke to me about how lonely this time is for him having to make end of life decisions for his mom. He wonders if it would be better as far as sharing the care and decisions if there was siblings. He had a lot of benefits to being an only child but there were a few negatives. I have an only child and I certainly am now planning more carefully so he will have extended support for those big life events that can be lonely and overwhelming.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm an only child. The good: I had my parents' undivided attention. I had more material things than I would have had otherwise. My parents were able to help me financially when I was a college student more than they would have been if they had other kids to put through school. I have great cousins and a lifelong best friend so I do have 'surrogate siblings.' You could have siblings you don't like... I've seen this with my dh and my dad.

The cons: no one to play with growing up (especially since there were not many kids in our neighbourhood.) Not looking forward to caring for my parents alone when they get older. Boredom. I had my parents' undivided attention... I felt henpecked as a child.

I don't think that being an only means you don't share well- I always shared well, my son is one of three and has a hard time sharing. I think personality comes into play as well as birth order with many behaviour issues.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2010