hand foot, and mouth disease

We were at church last night and I looked at my DS and he had spots on his hands, I didn't know before we left---and he wouldn't leave and he is as tall as me and is over 100 pounds and I couldn't carry him out so we stayed and when we got home I stopped at the ER and she said it looked like hand foot and mouth diease, which I already knew because i had it in 9th grade--but none of us (my mom, me or myDD) had chicken pox and I wanted to make sure it wasn't that!!
My question is how long do I make him stay home--it is viral and when I had it my mom made me go to school and not tell anyone!! But I don't want to do that!!

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 11:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am not sure how ong he needs to stay home, all his pediatritian and ask, Im sure they wil tell you. DO NOT send him to school, it will cause a break out in his entire class, its very contagious!
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Make him stay home? If he's feeling fine, which most children do who get this, then keep him home. But otherwise, it's such a harmless commonplace disease I did nothing whatever about it. It passes most by unnoticed. My one daughter had it worsed on her feet but calamine lotion with all she needed or the occasional cool soak in a bowl while watching the TV.

Don't keep him home at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• its a scary one...my girls had it in the mouth - all blistered and gross and painful.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/hfm.html

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Doh! Strike the above. I wrote that with too much distraction. Sorry.....

Make him stay home? If he's feeling fine, which most children do who get this, then DON'T keep him home. It's such a harmless commonplace disease I did nothing whatever about it. It passes most by unnoticed. My one daughter had it where it bothered her feet and she got a raised temperature. But calamine lotion was all she needed or the occasional cool soak in a bowl while watching the TV.

Don't keep him home at all if he feels fine. Hand, foot and mouth isn't dangerous.

[sorry for the earlier goof up]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2010