How often do you shampoo your carpets??

I just shampooed my carpets in January but I am not sure when the next time I should do it. The carpets are getting dirty just from having active teenagers and a toddler.

April_5

Asked by April_5 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• 6 months to a year...its not good for area rugs...can you spot clean your busy areas maybe?
    Anonymous

• I have a shampoo machine. I do it weekly. We have cream carpet, red clay, and huge dogs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I use to do it once a month but I have been so busy lately I haven't been able to.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You don't want to "shampoo" carpets too often. Getting the carpets wet can also soak the padding underneathe and the floors under that causing mold and mildew growth. Plus frequent shampooing also wears the fibers down and shortens the life of your carpet. You should use a deep cleaning method from HWE (Hot Water Extraction: AKA Steam cleaning) or the better Low Moisture method called Encapsulation no more than two or three times a year. And yes, we own a carpet cleaning business and this is what we recommend.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2010