mommies need some help here?

i have the flu but im breast feeding my 3 week old little girl. What can i take that is safe when nursing? Also should i stop breastfeeding her until im not sick anymore?

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call your ob and the ped
    Anonymous

• yea call your ob..bc i had got the chicken poxs when my daughters was 4 weeks and he gave me medicine that dried me up so becareful what you take
    Anonymous

• you definitely don't have to stop nursing -- your nursing will give her antibodies so she can resist getting what you've got; if she does get it, it'll be less severe because you'll have passed along your antibodies.

Don't take Sudafed or Benadryl, I know that much (they will dry you up and get the baby drunk) -- from an internet search when i was sick. When I called my ped, his advice nurse said "how about the neti pot?" it's a thing that lets you pour water in one nostril and out the other just to clear things out -- it did not work for me. They recommended I take NOTHING except tylenol, which was horrible, but I did survive... but it wasn't the flu, just a bad cold.
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 12:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Don't stop breastfeeding. Your baby is already exposed, but is getting antibodies etc. from you!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What symptoms are bothering you the most? Tylenol for body aches.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Keep breastfeeding! It'll help keep your baby from getting sick! Too many risks by stopping, then trying to start back up when you're better! Tylenol, rest, hydration - really the best things, the doctor won't be much help unless you get dehydrated.
    Anonymous

• Nursing is THE BEST thing you can do right now. Anything Tylenol is safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    Definitely get some Elderberry syup; it is a natural anti-viral that has been proven to be more than twice as effective as Tami-flu, and does not have any serious side effects.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010