How can I get my baby to sleep by herself?

Im a new mom and my little girl is 3 weeks old and already wont sleep on her own sometimes. I hold her until she falls asleep but as soon as I put her down she wakes up! It doesnt happen all the time but enough to make it hard for me to help around the house. Even when she is awake and I know she needs to have her tummy time..any advice??? Will take it happily!!!!

AmandaKessler

Asked by AmandaKessler at 12:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine did that from birth to 4 mos. If I wasn't holding her and walking or moving around, she was crying hysterically. It was so awful. We trained her to sleep in her crib at 4 mos. I'd rock her to sleep and put her down. She'd cry, but I'd just do it over and over and over again until she stayed asleep. It was exhausting and I don't miss that stage one bit, but, I do think it's better to do it when they're young, you don't want to do this with a 1 year old, trust me.
    Anonymous

• Very common - and the housework will probably suffer for a while. It will be easier for her to learn to soothe herself back to sleep when she wakes if she learns to comfort herself to sleep to begin with. What helped mine was a "heartbeat" bear that mimicked the sounds they heard in the womb - white noise machine would probably work as well, a small blanket that I wore inside my shirt while they were awake and then tucked into bed with them, and a paci.
    Tummy time isn't as important right now as it will be in the next few months - right now if you can get in 5-10 minutes every now and then, that's great. You will probably need to lay down next to her to keep her entertained, at least at first.
    Let the house go a little - they are young for such a short time!

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Get a sling or a wrap. Babies, honestly, aren't meant to sleep alone. They sleep and breathe better and are less stressed and happiest close to their mothers. I just posted a journal about types of babywearing. A wrap style baby carrier gives the most versatility, but take your pick. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles

Just yesterday I had my baby on my back in a mei tai.   I also use the moby a lot (I am graduating to a less stretchy model now that I am no longer a cold novice...the moby is forgiving to beginners but has a lot of stretch that needs adjusting).

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Try swaddling her if you don't already. Also, we had to put our daughter in a papasan chair to sleep because when we put her in the basinett she would wake up. I think because she could feel that there was nothing around her. She slept great in the papasan chair.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Swaddling and a swing got my baby boy used to sleeping on his own. Then after a month of the swing I would put him in the crib for nap time and once he was more used to that I tried it at night and he slept soundly.
    MegPin

Answer by MegPin at 3:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Oh and if you do use a sling I agree with amileegirl molby's are the best. I had a boppy sling and then a bjorn carrier. He hated the boppy and left marks on his skin because of all the pipping used for decoration. I loved the Bjorn though and he loved it.
    MegPin

Answer by MegPin at 3:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• At three weeks...this is normal. And don't stress much about tummy time, especially not this early.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Oh, I've also used the kanga style. I love it for housework for my 5 month old as it is a quick easy on easy off and is cooler. Best of all I didn't have to spend a dime. I used a sarong (beach wrap).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The CPSC has just released a statement saying that most slings are not safe - they don't hold the baby in the proper position and the babies are at an increased risk of suffocating. I don't know because I've never used a sling, just heard it on my local news.

Answer by missanc at 6:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010