How many heard about this? Canceled prom because a girl wanted to bring her girlfriend... quite sad

JACKSON, Miss. – A northern Mississippi school district will not be hosting a high school prom this spring after a lesbian student sought to attend with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo.
The Itawamba County school district's board decided Wednesday to drop the prom because of what it called recent distractions but without specifically mentioning the girl's request, which was backed by the American Civil Liberties Union.
The student, 18-year-old high school senior Constance McMillen, said the cancellation was retaliation for her efforts to bring her girlfriend, also a student, to the April 2 dance.
"A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this, so in a way it's really retaliation," McMillen told The Clarion-Ledger of Jackson. Calls to McMillen by The Associated Press late Wednesday went unanswered.
School policy requires that senior prom dates be of the opposite sex. The ACLU of Mississippi had given the

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• district until Wednesday to change that policy, arguing that banning same-sex prom dates violated McMillen's constitutional rights.
    Instead, the school board met and issued a statement announcing it wouldn't host the event at Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton, "due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events."
    The statement didn't mention McMillen or the ACLU. When asked by The Associated Press if McMillen's demand led to the cancellation, school board attorney Michele Floyd said she could only reference the statement.
    "It is our hope that private citizens will organize an event for the juniors and seniors," district officials said in the statement. "However, at this time, we feel that it is in the best interest of the Itawamba County School District, after taking into consideration the education, safety and well being of our students."
    Anonymous

• Kristy Bennett, legal director for the ACLU of Mississippi, said the district was trying to avoid the issue.
    "But that doesn't take away their legal obligations to treat all the students fairly," Bennett said. "On Constance's behalf, this is unfair to her. All she's trying to do is assert her rights.
    Itawamba County is a rural area of about 23,000 people in north Mississippi near the Alabama state line. It's near Pontotoc County, Miss., where more than a decade ago school officials were sued in federal court over their practice of student-led intercom prayer and Bible classes.
    Anna Watson, a 17-year-old junior at the high school, was looking forward to the prom, especially since the town's only hotspot is the bowling alley, she said.
    Anonymous

• "I am a little bummed out about it. I guess it's a decision that had to be made. Either way someone was going to get disappointed — either Constance was or we were," Watson said. "I don't agree with homosexuality, but I can't change what another person thinks or does."

Other students are on McMillen's side.

McKenzie Chaney, 16, said she wasn't planning to attend the prom, but "it's kind of ridiculous that they can't let her wear the tuxedo and it all be over with."
    Anonymous

• A Feb. 5 memo to students laid out the criteria for bringing a date to the prom, and one requirement was that the person must be of the opposite sex.

The ACLU said McMillen approached school officials shortly before the memo went out because she knew same-sex dates had been banned in the past. The ACLU said district officials told McMillen she and her girlfriend wouldn't be allowed to arrive together, that she would not be allowed to wear a tuxedo, and that she and her girlfriend might be asked to leave if their presence made any other students "uncomfortable."

McMillen said she feared she would be thrown out of the prom because "we do live in the Bible Belt."
    Anonymous

• I think they should have just let her go. They didn't want her to wear the tux either. Dumbest stuff I ever heard.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I guess i can't see who she was hurting? There with a girl, and not wearing a dress. I just dont see where it was any of their business.
    Anonymous

• I read that article last night. Made me sick that the school was acting that way. The girl has support from fellow students the only distraction was the school district saying no. If they had just let it be and let her go I am willing to bet NO ONE would have been distracted. Both the girls are in the school and obviously their dating hasnt been a distraction from education up until now when the district made an issue of it.

The only people uncomfortable are the administrators.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I hate it that the entire student body has to miss out on what is the highlight of your senior year because of one request. I don't see how what she requested was ging the harm anyone. I also think that the student was being very responsible to even go forward to ask for permission. After all she could have just shown up. I wonder what would have happened had they just shown up...? I mean would they have canceled the prom right there and sent everyone home?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Well I DO NOT agree with homosexuality AT ALL!!, But...I don't think that there was a need to cancel the whole prom. I'm sure someone will come up with an "alternative" prom, that the kids can attend, and that girl and her "partner (barf)" can attend, and everyone will be happy. I don't know that canceling the whole thing was the right thing to do, but if they felt that is what had to be done, then so be it. It's their decision to make, not the kids. The school board did what they thought was right, whether we all agree with it or not.
    Anonymous

• So its right to discriminate? I guess I thought ppl were more mature than that
    Anonymous