I can't be the only one

who really, really hates playing with her child. I'm not a kid, I don't enjoy playing with a toddler. I hate pretend games, I don't like coloring, I hate cars. OMG if I have a girl someday I'm going to lose my mind, because I hate those stupid dolls and princess pretend games.

Don't get me wrong, I love my child. But this whole entertaining him all day long? I'm going to pull out my hair. I'm a mom, not a playmate!

I DON'T enjoy playing with my child. AAAAEEEEAEEERRRGGHGHGHGHGH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow, that sucks for you. I wish I didn't have to work so I could stay home and play all day :) But I am still a big kid...my house is decorated with posters and action figures...
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You don't have to play with they all day long. And you can do things you like. Reading books, have them do coloring or art when you do some scrapbooking or crafts(if you like that), include them in cooking, going to the parks. There is are many things you can do with your child then just play with them.

Anonymous

• part of being a mom IS to pla with your child:) its rather sad.hmph.i love to color and paint with my daughter..i kinda understand where you're coming form but when they're teenagers and you're dying to have some time with them that they dont "want" you'll remember when they were toddlers and you could've had all this time. its fun to play with your babies!! give it a try:)
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• OP here - I don't want to be a SAHM. Trade places? However, financially, I would be paying more than I earned to send my child to daycare. It's not a choice for all of us. Plus DH is in the military, so we move a lot, and we are less than a year from his next move. Going to work right now would be a poor financial choice.
    Anonymous

• Maybe try to introduce something you DO enjoy doing to your child. If you like messing around on the computer...pull up a sesame streeet site (pbskids.org) and let him sit on your lap while you click on the games,videos and songs,if you like to listen to music and dance..turn up the radio and boogy down with your little one,if you like to paint your toe nails, let him help you paint your toes nails(you can always fix it later,lol),if you like gardening give him a hand shovel and take him outside to dig in the dirt next to you,if you have house work to do,give him a bucket with a little warm water and a wash rag and have him wash the floor next to you or help you "fold" clothes (again,,this is another you can fix it later things,lol)...theres much more that you can do with your kiddos than using your imagination! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i understand. i love playing with her sometimes but not all day long. i am not with her all day long. but she plays on her own most of it. you don't have to play with the baby all day long. i usually just set up a place in the living room which is blocked off and she plays and i watch tv. she usually gets into some form of mischivios and i have to go get her once or twice. but other then that it works fine. but like another poster said. try to get the kids involved in what you are doing around the house. my dd is not old enough to fold clothes but she just stands in her crib and watches me. or in her playpen when i do the floors. and she loves to just watch while i clean. i talk to her alot when i do these things. i even put her in her highchair when i get ready in the bathroom. don't worry about it. just play when u can if u don't know one will know.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• maybe,.. I love playing with my son and watching him learn from it and watching him laugh at me being silly.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, you are not the only one. Trust me. I am a sahm but NOT by choice - by health. I am not fond of playing with my kids. I'd rather sit and cuddle for a while than play cars. It would cost me more to put them in daycare than I would earn. Don't feel bad. I know there are more moms out there like us - I know a few.
    Anonymous

• it is ok if your child learns to entertain himself too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• As an Early Childhood Educator, I can tell you that "playing" is learning. Maybe it would help you to know that it's not just "playing" - that with each game, your child learns something new - he or she could be learning life skills, motor skills, or something that will advance his or her brain function preparing them for learning in school.

Might I suggest you get out a bit more - walks, field trips, play dates, etc?
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010