Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do, what would you do?

My son is 8 yrs. old and attending a catholic school. (My son's nickname) Jay was diagnosed with A.D.H.D. & P.D.D. by taking an psychoeducational evaluation. I gave a copy of the test to Jay's school, so they can understand him. Seems though the teacher's are frustrated, giving Jay several infractions everyday. Now he is about to get his 3rd detention. I have kept the teacher's notified of doctor visits & medication, helpful hints. These detentions go on record, so the teacher's Jay has in the future are just going to think Jay is trouble, not believe he has any medical issues. What can I do? I certainly don't want the teacher's to get upset with me, nor do I want Jay to be marked as someone that he is not. I can see that my son is giving up on school and is disappointed in hisself because of the treatment he gets at school and at his father's where there he is constantly punished and told heis Bad. Help us, if you can. Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by friendlyterri at 1:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 4 (44 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • sounds like you need to have a meeting with the teachers and principal

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • You might have better luck with the public school system - get an IEP set up for him

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • Private schools have not obligation to provide services to children with special needs. I suspect that your child would be better off with a public school.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • are there any other teachers for his grade level? some teachers may deal with this better. have you spoken with the principal? i was wondering if public school might be the best option as well. have you joined the adhd group here on cafe mom?
    good luck! this sounds very hard!

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • Public schools might be better equipped to deal with him - or a specialty private school that specializes in children with his level of needs. Shriner's Hospitals are usually a good source to find help with these things.

    Answer by texassahm at 11:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.