PLEASE... he doesn't want to use the potty

My son is 4.5 and he doesn't want to use the potty!!! I knew you're not supposed to push the potty issue, so we didn't. We didn't even mention it until 3. We had him try it a few times but he just said he didn't want to. We had a few days where he wanted to put on his big boy underwear and he peed in the toilet, but he wanted to poop in a diaper. He basically changes his own diaper now. His friends are all potty trained and have been. Peer pressure doesn't seem to work. Is he going to learn this in time to start kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is the whole problem with waiting until 3. Kids get set in their ways. Get the diapers out of the house.
    Anonymous

• unless he has a disability.. I would say first thing take him to the doctor.. second put him in only underwear when at home & if he poops in them don't yell,spank, or make him feel bad.. just simply have him take off his dirty clothes get him washed up & have HIM clean his underwear after doing this a couple of times it will motivate him to use the potty. it sounds mean, but it may the only thing that works.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• There's no need to take him to the doctor. What are they going to do? Nothing. You'll just have to be firm with him and take away the diapers. My daughter is three and she is refusing to use the potty herself. I'm about to just take them away fully. I'm at my wits end with her. = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Offer an incentive for pooping on the potty. Also, let him do the clean up as others suggested.
    Anonymous

• Your child can't start kindergarten unless he is potty trained. OR they will put him in the class with children with special needs.

What the hell is wrong with you that you are letting a 4 year old decide whether or not he wants to potty train? If he is runnning your household now, then just wait until he is a teenager.

If he can change his own diaper then he can potty train, it is not his decision at this point. YOU are the parent, YOU are suppoesd to decide what is best for him - I can't imagine any pediatrician would recommend you let the child decide.

You'd better straighten this situation out soon, or you just set a precident for a lifetime of battles with him - and he will always win if you are always weak.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2010