Mississippi School Cancels Prom Rather than Allow Same-Sex Couple to Attend

http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2010/03/mississippi-school-cancels-prom-rather-than-allow-same-sex-couple-to-attend/

I think this is total BS!

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When rules are unfair its the brave that challenge them and try to make a change!

Anonymous

• LOL...that you should jump down about 4 questions :)
    Anonymous

• We just went over this!

Anonymous

• You can't exactly blame the asker...the other person didn't really title their post accurately.
    Anonymous

• I didn't see this question before, so I'll give you an actual answer. Kinda silly if you ask me. I mean girls go together to things like that as friends because they don't have dates. How is this any different or any of the school's business?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Lowen....the only difference is that the one girl wanted to wear and tux and make a big thing out of it. This is a small town where everyone KNOWS the rules and the rules of that county's school board CLEARLY state that there is to be only boy girl couples. Right there in the handbook. This girl CHOSE to wait till about 2 months before prom to pitch a hissy fit and get her way. She SHOULD have gone through the channels MONTHS ago (because I am betting she didnt just decide she was gay 3 weeks ago) and tried to get things changed in the rule book. Many are choosing to blame this on this, that , and the other person when really its this girls fault and she has just made her life more difficult. I mean really, the town has a TOTAL of about 22,000 people. THATS IT. She KNEW what the deal was and chose to handle it in this way.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I guess schools can make their own rules as they see fit. I was not allowed to go to prom because I didn't have a date. You were not allowed to go as a single. I think that is BS as well. It sucked, but I lived.,

FYI - This was the rule in Texas AND Colorado. Junior prom in Texas, senior prom in Colorado.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• This is a small town where everyone KNOWS the rules and the rules of that county's school board CLEARLY state that there is to be only boy girl couples. Right there in the handbook...She KNEW what the deal was and chose to handle it in this way.

How many high schoolers read the handbook give me a break..How do you know what she knew..Maybe that was her point to bring the injustice of this situation out in the public!

Anonymous

• Rules are Rules. She should know the rules of her school. She is no one special, everyone has to follow rules, and that's how life works! I know shocking huh? I mean, if you are a smoker and your job says no smoking... you either don't smoke or find a new job!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• And hey...Hows about yall try out the AP article and NOT the one by the gay and lesbian BLOG.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588808,00.html

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2010