Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's father has been paying child support for his son ever since he was born 5 years ago,I told PA who the father was and now I wish I hadn't since they want me to provide information about him.He said simply to tell them that I'm not seeking support from him because we don't get along with each other and that's important to our son.Should I have not said anything about his father at all and I should keep everything the way it is for now?

Answer Question

Asked by mommys1luv at 1:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 7 (162 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You can't get PA unless he's paying the child support to them. That way they are getting back some of the money they are giving you.

    Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • yep, here in MI they will make you seek child support before you can get any type of state assistance

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • You shouldn't lie to get taxpayers money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • They really only need that information if you are requesting cash assistance...usually not just for foodstamps. Well, thats the way it is here in Ohio.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • i think honesty is the best way to go.

    Answer by lowencope at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • yes you absolutely should have told them who he was. If you recieve assistance for your child, you are required to seek child support or your benefits will stop. The way the state sees it, if dad was paying the support on his own accord, then you wouldn't need the assistance. If you lied and said you didn't know who the father was, that would be considered fraud.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • The man is scum. Give them the information. He's stealing from his child. That money belongs to the child. Deadbeat dad just doesn't want to be responsible. The child deserves to be treated better than that. Just bc he doesn't respect you doesn't mean he shouldn't respect the child. Give them everything they want and make him pay. Sometimes we don't get along with these men bc they are afraid of getting caught by cs so let him face his fear and become a man. I did and I get along better with my x now that he has to pay back support.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • You MUST continue with the TRUTH. It is morally right for yourself, for your child, and for the government & taxpayers.....

    What if 2 years down the road your ex finds a new girl, she gets pregnant, and all of a sudden he stops paying.....? What recourse will you have? You can't go back if you take the dishonest/immoral road now.

    Do right by your child, and that is to secure financial support from this man. If the father is a good man, he will understand and desire to have it done legally too.

    Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.