How do you get a rug clean that is too big for the washer, and I have no special carpet stuff?

I have been taking it outside and useing a scrub brush an a hose but that takes a very long time and is a pain in the but!

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• OXY CLEAN , AND THE CAR WASH SERIOUSLY ...MY DD HAS A WHITE RUG WITH POLKA DOTS AND EVERY FEW MONTHS IT LOOKS HORRIBLE SO I PUT OXYCLEAN ALL OVER IT AND DH TAKES IT IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK TO THE CAR WASH AND SPRAYS IT ....THEN I PUT IT TO DRY OUT SIDE AND IT LOOKS BRAND NEW!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Call a professional cleaner.
    Anonymous

• I was going to say use a scrub brush and a bucket of soapy water but it looks like you've already tried that,lol. You can call around to some dry cleaners and see if they take in rugs.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Dry clean it. They take rugs too!
    MRST04

Answer by MRST04 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I dont know what the brand name is but its a rug cleaner that your spray on but you vacuum it off. Ive been seeing commercials for it.

Actually I think it might be Woolite, rug stick cleaner or something???
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You can call a professional but try a local family owned company as the top names such as Stanley Steemer have minimum orders of $109 or they won't take the job. Smaller companies will sometimes take small jobs. We do with our business simply because it helps our reputation. One example is a beauty salon asks us to come and clean their breakroom floor once a month, it's a $20 job since it's a tiny room. BUT they let us display business cards and it gets us new customers.

You can always get a carpet cleaning solution at a hardware store and clean it with a scrub brush. For stains look for a stain remover called FOLEX, Home Depot has it and it works great.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010