Did you use pull-ups?

to potty train your child? My son (18 months) has been doing most of his business in the toilet for the past few weeks whenever we're home (we've just been pulling down his diaper and that has worked fine), but we're out of the house a lot, and he goes to a babysitter's a few hours three days a week. I'm hesitant to do underwear half-heartedly, but I don't know if the babysitter should have to clean up occasional accidents. Did anyone find pull-ups helpful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope, not while potty training, they are no different than diapers IMO
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I never used them - we used the cotton Gerber training pants. Not quite as mess free, but definitely more helpful in training than pull ups.

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We didn't with our first daughter because we had the time to stay home with her until she got it... With our second it was a little more complicated because she's in nursery school. She's in underwear full-time at home (except at night) but she's at school in a pull-up. I don't think it's messing with her progress at home. But she's not as comfortable telling her teachers she has to go potty, and I didn't even ask them if they were willing to just go trial-and-error since they have lots of kids to deal with, none of whom are trained. I do think they're the same thing as diapers, though, just a bit easier to reuse.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I found them useful with my oldest daughter. She potty trained by 18 months except for poop and they caught the poop if she didn't make it to the potty and she had no problems. Now my youngest daughter for her... they are simply glorified diapers. She is doing both number one and two in them instead of using the potty. = ( I guess it depends on the mentality of the child over all.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I started using them, and hated them. I went right to undies because my DD would just pee/poop in them just like they were a diaper.
    Anonymous

• We use them when we leave but otherwise I don't like them! DD does good when she's home with me in potties for a week but the day I put her in a pull up it's like she "forgets" panties aren't absorbant!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Only at night. They feel too much like a diaper and I feel they cause confusion during the day. However, if we are out shopping I will use a pull up. Just not at home.
    Anonymous

• i bought some for my first son, my second son used the same case, and we still have some left for the twins.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No. to a child Diapers & pulls up feel the same, so its easy for them to go back to old habits. If the babysitter has to start picking up messes then they will learn to ask often & remind your child about going potty. ...

My dd went from diaper -- being "bottomless" (no diaper/panties/ect) for 3 days --- to big girl panties.. its was VERY rare of her to make an accident. But we also made a good attempt to remind her often & ask her if she needed to go potty. . In about 2wks she was sleeping in panties as well.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2010