Is it too soon to start potty training?

My daughter is 15 months and she tells me every time she poops or pees by bringing me a diaper. I thought they weren't supposed to be ready till 2.5 or so? I don't want to push her and make it harder, but I feel like she really knows what's up with her body. Any recommendations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• no you should start as soon as they realize the urge....almost as soon as they start walking encourage them to do so ...she is ready
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sounds like my daughter at that age. We just started having her sit after meals at first, and she stared pooping there only by about 16 months. At 17 months we started working with her in underwear while we were at home and she learned how to recognize that she had to pee. She's 18 months tells us almost every time she has to go while we're home. I take her periodically while we're out; and she's still working on going when she's at nursery school. I'd say go for it -- no pressure, of course, but it sounds like a good opportunity to me!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My DD was partially PT at 14 months. She didn't completely get it until about 20 months, but I am SO happy that I started her early. I say go for it. If it isn't working, you'll know and you'll know when to back off.
    Anonymous

• We did EC, so my daughter was 100% poop in the potty at about 13 months. She still has a few pee misses at 17 months, but for the most part tells us. I don't think you need to potty "train" her or require anything of her. Just go with the flow. Start noticing her cues before she goes, and put her on the toilet. Come up with a word or noise to associate with pottying so she knows what you are talking about and read books or play games whilst she sits on the throne. You don't have to force her to do anything, but you CAN give her pottytunities! :)
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2010