How many servings of fruit should a 1 year old have in a day?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I try to get at least a serving of a fruit anda veg per meal with my 17 month old, and I try to work it into at least one of her two snacks if I can which isn't always easy. But I guess I just kind of came up with that on my own, I didn't read it or anything. I'll have to check my book when I get home, or maybe someone knows the recommendation. I also wonder what constitutes a serving for a child this age- like if she eats the whole banana is that considered one serving or more, because it sure seems like a lot for such a little tummy. Good question.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I know..a whole banana does seem like a lot for thier little tummy,lol. I usually give her half of one. My daughter loves fruit and I think if thats all I fed her she would be happy,lol. I just want to know how much is the right amount because I don't want to give her too much, you know. I usually serve her a fruit with breakfast..like this morning, I cut up half a banana and mixed it with her pancake. Then she had cheese fishy crackers for a snack then she just ate late and I can her a cup of mixed fruit and mac-n-chs. So I am wondering...should that be it for the day since she will have a veggie for dinner or can I give her fruit as her second snack for the day,lol. Dang..being a mom makes people think like nutritionists or something,lol. If only I could feed myself as well..lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• 3-4 servings. Of course a serving for a 1 year old is a lot smaller than a serving is for an adult - with all the food groups! A serving size at that age is a few tablespoons (for any food from any food group) - so a whole banana is at least 2 servings.
    Anonymous

• Just like grownups, children should have 7-8 serving of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least three different colors.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010