My 1 year old is giving me a really hard time about eating lately. What can I do to make sure she is getting the nutrition she needs?

Mias225Mom

Asked by Mias225Mom at 2:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All I think you can really do is offer her a variety of foods during the day..she will eat was she needs. I give my one year old (she'll be 13 months in 3 days) breakfast,a snack,lunch,snack,dinner,bedtime bottle. Some days I worry too that she hasnt eaten enough too but I can't force her,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I read that for a toddler this age it is completely appropriate for them to eat well at one meal a day and basically graze the rest of the day so that made me feel a lot better. The book also said you might see one day where the child eats really well at all three meals and then barely eats for the next day or two. So basically it has ups and downs. What I do is always offer my daughter the healthy food first- if she has eaten a lot of fruit already then at dinner I only put her protein on the tray at first to get some of that eaten, then I will add her carbs, and then the fruits and veggies last. Or vice versa if I think she needs more of something else at that meal. I also try to watch the water and juice epsecially right before a meal because that can make them feel full even before they start really eating. She thinks graham crackers are "cookies" so worst case at the end of a meal I will offer her that.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• we are at this stage too I just keep trying all day to get her to eat and she will when she is ready
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 10:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2010