how do i know if its thrush?

my 4 mo old has had a white-ish tongue for as long as i can remember, how do i tell if this is thrush or just milk residue? she is ebf.

advice please?

she does hesitate to eat at times, crying instead of latching, but i've been thinking that was just because she is teething.

if it is thrush how should i treat it? doesnt it make my nipples have symptoms?

anyways thanks in advance. look forward to hearing from you guys who know more about this than i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had it when he was a baby. It looks like white little bumps all over the inside of the mouth, including the tongue and lips and comes off easily with a wipe of the finger. Its like a yeast infection. Yes, your breasts can get it too if that is what it is. Give doc a call...they will prescibe him a medication and it will go away! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I now have thrush for the 2nd time. I had it with my 2nd and now with my 3rd baby. With moms, thrush can cause burning and/or itching of the nipples. It can also cause shooting pains in your milk ducts if the infection gets down that deep. Your nipples may be hot pink or have light colored spots that look like the skin has been bleached. The pain may happen during feedings, right after, or in between feedings.

In the baby, thrush may cause a white coat on the tongue and/or white dots in the cheeks or roof of the mouth. The lips may have a slight pearlized look and the slober can have the same pearlized/irridescent sheen.

Your dr can prescribe Nystatin for the baby. You can apply antifungal to your nipples several times a day and wash it off before feedings if your symptoms or mild. If your symptoms are bothersome, your dr can prescribe Diflucan.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If you can't wipe it off softly with a towel its thrush. My dd's did NOT come off easily and it was thrush. Her ex Pediatrician prescribed Nystatin...for 4 refills until I finally tried Genetian Violet on my own. That was what took care of it
    Genetian Violet is messy but very effective. DD had purple lips and mouth and I had purple boobs for a couple weeks. :) Its just fromt the dye. You can good info on this from that Kellymom website.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thrush can be very hard to get rid of. White vinegar or bleach can kill it. You must disinfect all teethers, toys, anythig that makes contact with your baby's mouth. You also need to use a fresh towel each day and wash them in hot water with 1 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle. You need to boil pacifiers and bottle nipples daily.

You must continue treatment and disinfecting routines 1 week after all symptoms are cleared or it will come back.

A Google search will also give you more treatments. Other options are Gentian Violet and Grapefruit Seed Extract.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It looks like a mouthful of cottage cheese that doesn't wipe off.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• if my nipples have no symptoms and baby doesn't seem to be in pain, does it matter?
    Anonymous

• i just figured it was breastmilk since she's had it her whole life
    Anonymous

• My dds voice changed when she had it like she had to force it out
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 10:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010