My 4 yr old might have ADHD HELP!!!!!

My 4 yr. old daughter is in an early intervention preschool and for the past 4 wks has been very aggressive in school. She has always been easily agitated but is getting worse. She is my youngest and has a speech delay she also has pain intolerance (she can't feel pain) Can any one help me with info about this condition and what you do for treatment. Please help me I am scared for her.

lee74

Asked by lee74 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did someone diagnose her with ADHD, because I'm not sure the "symptoms" you are describing line up with that. The kids I know with ADHD didn't have a speech delay.
    Anonymous

• 4 is a little too young to be diagnosed with adhd and the symptoms you described don't line up with the diagnosis, maybe something is going on at school that bothers her
    Anonymous

• She has more than those issues that I stated. Her teacher is the one that brought it to my attention. She has a doctors appointment next Wed. I just didn't know if there was any certain questions I should ask or anything that I should be aware of?
    lee74

Answer by lee74 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• There is a group on here called "adhd & us",join they might be able to help you.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• As a parent of 2 ADHD kids, the daughter of someone with ADHD, & someone that has it herself, let me say that her behavior doesn't line up with ADHD. Is she easily distracted from task by the slightest thing? Does she constantly lose focus? Is she frustrated with herself (NOT other people)?

ADHD is a behavioral issue. Sometimes medication helps, sometimes not. The medication seems to help them settle down, but my experience has been that it turns some kids into zombies that go berserk when they're coming down off the meds because their mind seems to want to make up for what it missed. You can try certain diets that remove sugar, food dyes, or other foods. We've had fabulous luck with using behavior modification and lifetools. These kids seem to learn better when they can do hands on work or be in motion, some do great with music integrated into their learning. It seems to give their mind something else to do.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Honey,
    I would also get a second opinon, on this...
    I do believe, that a lot of Doctors and Teachers, are just not taking the time to really test the children.
    That just want to "LABLE" them.

with her speech delay, and then she can feel no pain....

I would be aggervated also, if I were her !!!
    BLESS HER HEART ♥♥♥♥

I am sure, she is upset .

As a mother, I can just imagine how you feel ,
    This has to be so hard.

I will keep you in my thoughts.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thank you SissyAnn it is very frustrating for her I am going to the doctors with her next week. She has a lot of behavioral issues and she is seeing a behaviorist at her school. Thank you for your support.
    lee74

Answer by lee74 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with ADHD at 3, so no 4 is not to young to get diagnosed, BUT the doctor will not even consider it until they are 6. I had to sign my son up for therapy to have him evaluated. The symptoms you listed don't sound like ADHD. My son is also slightly autistic and that's what it sounds like to me. You can ask your doctor about ADHD but they will most likely say they can't confirm it until they are 6. If you ask about autism symptoms and tell her doctor her symptoms they should refer you to a developemental pediatricain. I don't want to freak you out, but it sounded like you described my son, minus a few symptoms. Hope this helps
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The teacher should have reffered you to someone is this what happened I see you are in an early intervention does your child have an iep or something along those lines?If you have been reffered properly the people you will see will help you with everything you need this is what they are there for.And remember medication is not the only option I suggest looking into other methods when you get the results acupuncture works wonders!
    Anonymous